This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did Anyone Gain Weight Due To Celiac Or Gluten Allery

nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 Apprentice

If so, I'm curious how long it took you to get back to your normal size. I went gluten free for 2-3 weeks and am not back on the gluten diet so I can be tested. I felt better in almost all regards while on the gluten-free diet - my distended bowels and bloate in the belly went away, but I did not lose weight during this time and my face was still swollen.

Does this mean something else is going on? or that I just wasn't Gluten-Free long enough?

I really dont want to look/feel this way forever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I lost from 180 to 115 in 5 months.

The first two months I think my insides were healing and my metabolism was really slow. I was extremely swollen and had face swelling and puffy eyes.

It was probably a good 6 weeks to 2 months before my body felt it was "safe enough" to burn off the extra weight. My weight then melted off. Without trying.

I think it takes time for your body to "believe" it isn't going to be poisoned again.

And time for your metabolism to function appropriately.

I went gluten free as soon as I learned of it. I don't think I could handle one meal with gluten let alone weeks for a test. I hope it goes fast for you. I'm sure it is miserable.

It will be a few months for your body to recover. And that is after the first few weeks where you will be making mistakes that we all do before we get really good at this.

nuttmegs17 Apprentice

Thanks for the support that gives me some hope. I imagine there might be something to resetting your body. its just a scary frustrating situation!

I know it's dicey to consume gluten again in order to take the test. I was debating back and forth but i am just really desperate for answers. Cannot wait to see the GI and hopefully find out more

So far its only been 2 days, i'm noticing fatty stool and bloat again ugh

Happyw5 Explorer

I have gained about 30 pds from my gluten intolerance. I have been gluten free for almost 2 months and definitely feeling better, but still have issues. I look puffy still and am still having oil in my stool (sometimes)... I am thinking I have a slight corn allergy that is adding to my problems. I am going to stop eating most corn (just so hard for me to give up all corn right now) I have dropped about 8 pds in the last two months and am now going to be trying some anxiety medicine, because I have been having shaking hands, hard to catch my breath, and still some stomach issues. My family doc thought it would be worth a try...

I am hoping that my weight will start falling off soon... I think if we give it a little more time it will come off...

Archived