anna34

Got My Results Today

Rate this topic

I just found out that my TTG is 7.7

I was told that Normal is less than 5

I was told that Intermediate is 5-8

Anything over 8 is considered High and they would biopsy.

I was also told that my IGA was not deficient.

My daughter has celiac disease.

Does anybody know what all this means?

Another way of putting it is that anything under 5 is negative, from 5-8 is mildly positive, and anything over 8 is positive and they would then do a biopsy (the gold standard, so-called) to confirm the diagnosis. The total serum IGA is run as a control test to ensure that you produce normal amounts of antibodies, since if you did not it would invalidate the other test. I see that they only did the TTG test on you. The full celiac panel consists of:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Deamidate Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

Total Serum IgA

The DGP is the newer test and is being used more and more; doctors often don't run the EMA because it is expensive. It is possible to test positive on some tests and negative on others. If your daughter is diagnosed celiac she got it from you or from her father. If I were you I would push for more testing if you wanted a positive diagnosis now, or you could wait until you have done more damage and then you may indeed test positive. Are you asymptomatic or do you have gluten intolerance symptoms? If you are symptomatic I would just join your daughter on the diet.

• Upvote 1

I just found out that my TTG is 7.7

I was told that Normal is less than 5

I was told that Intermediate is 5-8

Anything over 8 is considered High and they would biopsy.

I was also told that my IGA was not deficient.

My daughter has celiac disease.

Does anybody know what all this means?

my ttg was only an 8 on my 1st test... and after a 2 week gluten challenge- it went down to a 7. weird huh? my antigliadin was negative. but my EMA was positive- and the EMA is only indicative of celiac.

as u can see- its a very tricky disease to diagnose.. i would assume if your daughter has it- it's probably a very smart idea for you to go on the diet. but you need to figure out how much you need a diagnosis and proceed accordingly.

good luck