This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keratosis Pilaris And Other Issues

October3

October3 Explorer

All of my posts up to this point have been about my 6 yr old who had a positive tTG but negative biopsy. Now as we're preparing to start him on a trial gluten-free diet I'm debating whether to have my older son also do it. Today I think I've decided we need to and I'm starting to think maybe this has been his issue all along. Here is his back-story.

He was a pretty happy baby except for big time reflux, but on meds he seemed fine - grew well, poops were good, etc. Just had to keep a towel handy for the massive spit ups. At around 1 when we switched him to cow's milk he developed ear infections, frequent congestion, an allergy to amoxicillin, and pretty severe keratosis pilaris on his face. He also started getting episodes of severe croup a few times every year which have continued - he was in the ER with a severe breathing issue as recently as last June, which for a 7/ 8 yr old is really unusual. We were not up to speed on food intolerances at first and didn't put it together but since then have tried eliminating milk for various lengths of time without it seeming to make a difference. As a preschooler he had episodes of aggression that would just come out of nowhere but at other times was such a sweet kid. For the past few years he has been complaining of stomach aches periodically - we could never identify a trigger. When milk and soy eliminations didn't seem to make a difference I took him to a naturapath and had him tested for IgG allergies. A few things came up but gluten was totally negative. Eliminating the foods on the tests didn't seem to make a difference and reintroducing them also didn't. He had a scope of his upper airway by an ENT last fall because of the croup. It showed chronic inflammation - could be reflux maybe said the doc, but no one suggested a remedy. Also, his stools are usually pretty gaseous with lots of floaties. When I started reading about celiac disease it seems to me my older son has much more of the classic symptoms.

Last night we had spaghetti for dinner. My son had 4 helpings! Today he's been lying on the couch with a stomach ache all afternoon. He's never had one this bad or this long before.

For the past week or so I have been looking at him and thinking he just doesn't look healthy. His face is so bumpy from the KP, and red and just generally unhealthy looking. He has big dark circles under his eyes. His growth has been good (height is around 50-60th %), but his is at around the 25th percentile for weight. I thought he was just an thin, healthy kid but now I'm questioning it.

Anyhow, sorry this is so long and rambling but I'm kind of thinking out loud here. I know pretty much anything could be because of gluten so if I say "does this sound like a gluten issue?" I'm sure to get lots of yeses. But what about the KP in particular? Everything I have read about it up til now is not much you can do except use moisturizer (which he resists) and supplement with Omega 3's (which he also resists). But is it a gluten thing?

We were going to start the diet soon, but he has an appt with his PCP in April and I'm thinking now I don't know whether to wait to have him tested first.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Yes, yes...take him off gluten!

Well, you knew I would say that!

I don't have KP, but I have read posts in the past on here from people who had it and for some being gluten free cleared it up.

Do a search on KP and you should be able to access those posts.

The fatigue and being flat out on the couch after eating pizza, are what I noticed before I took my son gluten free too. It is a lightbulb that slowly turns on.

It's made a big difference for us.

October3 Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I think going gluten-free is in order for him too. I just need to convince the rest of the family that it is necessary, and decide about whether waiting for to see the doc is necessary.

I am just confused about why all of us have been negative on IgG testing for gluten if that ends up being a big issue for us. We've been chasing this food intolerance thing for 3 or more years - everyone in the family has issues.

Happyw5 Explorer

All of my posts up to this point have been about my 6 yr old who had a positive tTG but negative biopsy. Now as we're preparing to start him on a trial gluten-free diet I'm debating whether to have my older son also do it. Today I think I've decided we need to and I'm starting to think maybe this has been his issue all along. Here is his back-story.

He was a pretty happy baby except for big time reflux, but on meds he seemed fine - grew well, poops were good, etc. Just had to keep a towel handy for the massive spit ups. At around 1 when we switched him to cow's milk he developed ear infections, frequent congestion, an allergy to amoxicillin, and pretty severe keratosis pilaris on his face. He also started getting episodes of severe croup a few times every year which have continued - he was in the ER with a severe breathing issue as recently as last June, which for a 7/ 8 yr old is really unusual. We were not up to speed on food intolerances at first and didn't put it together but since then have tried eliminating milk for various lengths of time without it seeming to make a difference. As a preschooler he had episodes of aggression that would just come out of nowhere but at other times was such a sweet kid. For the past few years he has been complaining of stomach aches periodically - we could never identify a trigger. When milk and soy eliminations didn't seem to make a difference I took him to a naturapath and had him tested for IgG allergies. A few things came up but gluten was totally negative. Eliminating the foods on the tests didn't seem to make a difference and reintroducing them also didn't. He had a scope of his upper airway by an ENT last fall because of the croup. It showed chronic inflammation - could be reflux maybe said the doc, but no one suggested a remedy. Also, his stools are usually pretty gaseous with lots of floaties. When I started reading about celiac disease it seems to me my older son has much more of the classic symptoms.

Last night we had spaghetti for dinner. My son had 4 helpings! Today he's been lying on the couch with a stomach ache all afternoon. He's never had one this bad or this long before.

For the past week or so I have been looking at him and thinking he just doesn't look healthy. His face is so bumpy from the KP, and red and just generally unhealthy looking. He has big dark circles under his eyes. His growth has been good (height is around 50-60th %), but his is at around the 25th percentile for weight. I thought he was just an thin, healthy kid but now I'm questioning it.

Anyhow, sorry this is so long and rambling but I'm kind of thinking out loud here. I know pretty much anything could be because of gluten so if I say "does this sound like a gluten issue?" I'm sure to get lots of yeses. But what about the KP in particular? Everything I have read about it up til now is not much you can do except use moisturizer (which he resists) and supplement with Omega 3's (which he also resists). But is it a gluten thing?

We were going to start the diet soon, but he has an appt with his PCP in April and I'm thinking now I don't know whether to wait to have him tested first.

I have KP...I started noticing it in August and it has gotten so bad this winter. I went gluten free about 2 months ago and i still have it, but I am hoping with alittle more time it will get better. My tests were neg for celiac, but I am allergic to wheat-so I decided to go gluten free...

It sounds like your son definitely might be affected by gluten. Looking back to my own childhood I had stomach aches all the time. I remember leaving friends houses early so I could go home and go to bed-because my stomach hurt so bad...My mom always said "It's just gas-go lay dow" I think I had a problem even back then, but it wasn't common knowledge back then. I am thinking that a couple of my children are going to have some problems with gluten. I am trying to slowly take it out of our home, since I am completely gluten free we will just go slow with everyone else in the home!!!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Maybe you are having IgA reactions not IgG.

Autoimmune are IgA reactions?

Not allergic to gluten, but sensitive to it?

The reactions are just as severe as I understand it.

Archived