law81

Depression And Gluten

Rate this topic

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 6 years ago. I have had a biopsy of my small intestine which came back negative. My husband however (my daughter's father) suffers from depression, alocohol abuse, and has asthma, hayfever and additional allergies. Would a gluten free diet help him? He does not have the same symptoms of my daughter. Suggestions on how to help him?

It might help but he would have to avoid drinking gluten grain alcohol like beer and malt liquor. You might want to have him get at least a blood test to start. You mention you had the biopsy. Did you have a positive blood test but negative biopsy? Both blood tests and biopsy can have false negative and after all testing is done you would need to try the diet strictly no matter what the results. You could try making the whole house gluten free after you are done with testing.

My son's asthma, depression, lethargy, and hay fever all went away when he went gluten free.

It could be why your husband wants to drink...to feel better...but certainly the alcohol with gluten would make things worse. I hope you can get him to try gluten free.