This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Do Now That I'm Pregnant

parrfunkel

parrfunkel Newbie

I posted recently about and got some advice but my situation has changed. I have been gluten free for a little over 2 months trying to resolve reflux/bloating/gas issues. I am not sure if gluten is an issue as I still have symptoms. Some have improved, but not gone away entirely. I also have hashimoto's and have read a great deal about the possible connection between gluten intolerance and hashi's.

I was scheduled for an endoscopy, but it has been canceled as I just discovered that I am 5 weeks pregnant. My internist was the one that originally suggested the diet, but didn't really recommend testing because false negative rate is so high. She felt it would be better to just try to diet. I'm now seeing a gastro and she wants to run a blood panel but she knows I haven't been eating gluten (why do some dr.'s just not get that this won't work?). Supposed to go back and see her this week to discuss what we will do now that I can't have the scope.

My original plan was to go 3 months gluten free and then reintroduce. Now I'm thinking I should wait until the end of the first Trimester. As I mentioned, I don't know for sure if gluten is an issue for me. I'm concerned that if it is and I have a reaction, it could cause problems with the pregnancy. Especially if a reaction to gluten could cause an increase in anti-thyroid antibody levels.

I plan to discuss this with my Gastro, Internist and OB over the next few weeks. Just wanted to see if you all had any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Celiac antibodies can attack the placenta, it can reduce the nutrients available to your baby, increase the chemical stress load on the fetus, and more.

In this situation, my opinion on what I would do is to stay STRICTLY gluten free for the duration of the pregnancy (whether or not to do this during the duration of breastfeeding is another question to consider). Why would I suggest that? Assuming you otherwise eat a healthy diet (not that hard to do while gluten free once you are past the learning curve) and are taking your prenatal vitamins (many women rely on fortified cereals and breads to get enough folic acid), the potential risk of eating gluten if you are celiac outweighs (in my mind) the potential benefit of avoiding gluten even if you are not celiac.

A few references, there are lots more available if you look:

1) Open Original Shared Link Coeliac disease and unfavourable outcome of pregnancy, CONCLUSIONS

parrfunkel Newbie

Thank you for the information. Gives me even more to think about

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree strongly with Tiffany. Wishing you the best.

Jungle Rookie

I think staying gluten free while pregnant is the safest way to go. If you are celiac then you are giving your body and baby the best of what it needs. If you are not celiac you are still giving the baby a healthy diet. On the other hand if you eat gluten and you are celiac then you and your baby are not getting what you need.

Your testing may still show positive. But if it is negative then you may still be positive.

Try and relax and enjoy your pregnancy. It is the most amazing time. Giving life to and feeling that sweet baby moving around is the best.

Archived