freeman801

Eating Gluten For Testing

Rate this topic

Quick histoy:

Appx 5 years ago I quit eating gluten. For six months straight I had a sinus infection that wouldn't leave and my friend said to get rid of the typical food allergins.

So I did gluten first, seemed easiest. And within three days my sinus infection cleared. I continued not to eat gluten for a week then tried a few days with eating it again and my sinus infection came back.

So ever since, I've been gluten free.

I did the 'home' test because I lacked insurance for any real testing.

During those five years I would 'test' myself. And each time, almost immediatly after eating it, I feel tired and my sinuses swell. On the other hand, I can eat fries and things that have touched gluten and not be bothered!

Now I have insurance and I want to get tested. I'm going to see my allergist about it and see what he suggests, but HIS nurse told me I'll have to eat gluten for 2 months before I can be tested?

I this accurate? I could only imagine what two months of gluten would do to me...

Quick histoy:

Appx 5 years ago I quit eating gluten. For six months straight I had a sinus infection that wouldn't leave and my friend said to get rid of the typical food allergins.

So I did gluten first, seemed easiest. And within three days my sinus infection cleared. I continued not to eat gluten for a week then tried a few days with eating it again and my sinus infection came back.

So ever since, I've been gluten free.

I did the 'home' test because I lacked insurance for any real testing.

During those five years I would 'test' myself. And each time, almost immediatly after eating it, I feel tired and my sinuses swell. On the other hand, I can eat fries and things that have touched gluten and not be bothered!

Now I have insurance and I want to get tested. I'm going to see my allergist about it and see what he suggests, but HIS nurse told me I'll have to eat gluten for 2 months before I can be tested?

I this accurate? I could only imagine what two months of gluten would do to me...

Allergies tend to flare up readily after contact/consumption (usually immediately ...up to two hours after). Have you considered a wheat or yeast allergy or something like that? Seeing your allergist is a good start. Intolerances tend to act up anywhere from a few hours to a few days after consumption of the offending food. It does almost sound like you possibly have an allergy rather than an intolerance. Definitely talk with your doctor about this, and the differences in the two.

Yes, a gluten challenge should be 2-3 months and you should be consuming quite a bit of gluten during that time.