Rate this topic

Hey all you Silly Yaks! :)

I'm off to get blood tested tomorrow and just need to commiserate with some other gluten sensitive people. That gluten loading the day before is TORTURE! So far today, I've had a biscuit, cruddy lipton noodles for lunch and mac and cheese for dinner. My gut isn't pleased, but I really want a clear result.

A wee bit of history, I am a 25 female, no children with a TSH of 90(!) and potential Hashimoto antibodies. My DO thinks I have the DQ2 or DQ8 HLA complex, testing will be performed for that too.

The bloating and constipation has been so bad since I started treating my thyroid that even if I come back "negative," I'm going off. I know I can feel better than this, and I really want to.

Thanks for being here!

Jess

You say the gluten loading day the day before the tests is awful, does that mean you have been gluten free or gluten light? If so that one day back on gluten is not likely to give positive results on any testing. A gluten challenge is usually needed for 2 to 3 months for the antibodies to present in the blood. It sounds like you know you need to gluten free no matter what the results so I hope the gluten loading doesn't make you feel too awful.

• Upvote 1

Well, I hope you have been eating gluten longer than 1 day before your testing! The usual recommendation around here is 3 months at least. Even at that, there is still a chance of a false negative, as the tests are not 100% per cent accurate.

So it would be good to do the diet for several months anyway, regardless of the test results.

Good luck on your test! :-)

• Upvote 1

Well, I hope you have been eating gluten longer than 1 day before your testing! The usual recommendation around here is 3 months at least. Even at that, there is still a chance of a false negative, as the tests are not 100% per cent accurate.

So it would be good to do the diet for several months anyway, regardless of the test results.

Good luck on your test! :-)

Oh no, I am gluten-full and have been for years. I just made sure to go overboard on that last day. :) Today I am VERY gluten lite and feeling much much better. :) The vampires took NINE tubes of blood this morning. Sheesh!

Oh no, I am gluten-full and have been for years. I just made sure to go overboard on that last day. :) Today I am VERY gluten lite and feeling much much better. :) The vampires took NINE tubes of blood this morning. Sheesh!

If you are going to have the biopsy done do keep on a gluten full diet until afterwards. After the biopsy is done or if you are done with testing don't go gluten lite go gluten free. Gluten light won't stop the antibodies.

If you are going to have the biopsy done do keep on a gluten full diet until afterwards. After the biopsy is done or if you are done with testing don't go gluten lite go gluten free. Gluten light won't stop the antibodies.

Yeah, I just reduced the gluten today because I was feeling so cruddy. After we're done diagnosing things, I will probably go gluten free, one way or the other. I've been down this road before with an elimination diet, but my compliance as a 17 year old wasn't fantastic.