MsCurious

Any Thoughts On This? I'm Still Confused What Would Cause This...

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I posted this before but didn't get any response, so I guess it confuses the rest of you just like it confuses me, but ... Can anyone give me thoughts on what would make this IGA level so elevated?

IgA 615 Range: 40 - 375 mg/dL (seems elevated out of normal range to me? Any idea why?)

IgG 1020 Range: 600 - 1600 mg/dL (seems mid-range normal to me)

Is this a non-specific total of antibodies - not specifically related to gliadin? So they are elevated but I don't know why... frustrating lol :P

Update:

ugh... I just found this little tidbit...which I guess somewhat answers my question:

IgA. High levels of IgA may mean monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) or multiple myeloma is present. Levels of IgA also get higher in some autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and in liver diseases, such as cirrhosis and long-term (chronic) hepatitis.

More medical mumbo-jumbo... still don't know why mine are elevated... :(

Looks like that is the total serum test that test to see if you produce sufficient IgA, which you obviously produce more of.

Did your doctor say ANYTHING about that number being so high? Have you been tested for rheumatoid arthritis or any of the other things you mentioned? I know those are all disorders that commonly coincide with undiagnosed celiac.

Looks like that is the total serum test that test to see if you produce sufficient IgA, which you obviously produce more of.

Did your doctor say ANYTHING about that number being so high? Have you been tested for rheumatoid arthritis or any of the other things you mentioned? I know those are all disorders that commonly coincide with undiagnosed celiac.

He really didn't say ... but he did run another blood test... SPEP (Serum protein electrophoresis)I think? My new GI doctor did see something else that prompted him to look at this and then order some other blood tests ...which I don't have done until the morning of my biopsies... so I'm just mystified and curious. I hate all this waiting! :P I guess I just have to be patient, but it seems like it just goes on and on ... Thanks for your thoughts... I guess it could be something related, I really have no idea. But obviously ... something is causing elevelated IGA. The million dollar question is... WHAT? :huh: