Rate this topic

Hi I'm Christine I'm 26 and have been diagnosed with celiac since October. I'm 5'6 n weigh 95lbs! In the beginning I found out I was still getting gluten not by chance. I completely eliminated gluten and was still getting sick. I stopped dairy same result. Stopped sugar eggs honey citrus nuts all these things made me have pain or gas or d. I tried blueberries rasberries in a bowl with quinoaot pain . Nuts give me the d most fruits and some veggies make me upset I get plenty gas all day long. Embrassed to go out for long ppl look at me funny. All I eat is rice n meat or potatoes n meat n veggies. Mostly cucumber n green peppers n lettuce. I got the pain down a lot but still gas. Lactaid does not work for me. Even when I eat c d g w n free still react n certain gluten free things give me pain. But I try not to eat processed stuff. Quinoa by itself is ok I think I eat it a lot but not sure what to eat with it. Breakfast n meals are a big problem and I'm even carefull with pots pans and spoons. My doc only referrs diabetics to dieaticians n they r expensive! I'm so embrassed to go out ppl at my old work make fun of me cause of the smell and I'm soooo thin all bones :(

*hugs*

Don't let celiac isolate you! It's not your fault!

Have you checked everything to make sure it's not being cross-contaminated in factory? Things like nuts can be particularly problematic--lots of trail mixes and nuts are processed on the same equipment as wheat.

Has your doctor checked for other problems that might be causing the gas? Like bacterial infections? You may need to find out if there's anything else wrong.

I'm worried that your diet is so limited right now. How are you vitamin/mineral levels? You might need supplements. Have you checked your personal products for wheat? You might be getting some there, like with hand lotion.

Something like steroid treatments shouldn't be out of consideration either, not with you being that thin. It might help calm your immune system down enough for you to gain some weight back. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions to help you gain weight.

From other postings on this forum, you seem to be having the types of problems that people with candida issues have. Perhaps someone who has experience with candida will respond to your question--something really needs to be done quickly in your case.

BTW, have you also eliminated soy and iodine? Many of us with celiac are very sensitive to these. Iodized salt is oftentimes added to nuts, which is why I'm mentioning the iodine connection.

I've been gluten free since September 25th and like you I still have problems. Yesterday, I didn't take my Lactaid soon enough when eating a toasted cheese and tomato soup. Both had milk. For quite awhile I made the mistake of not taking enough Lactaid to do the trick. Last weekend we had the same meal and I took the Lactaid prior to eating and I didn't have a problem. I am having issues with bacterial overgrowth and I cannot get anybody to listen to me nor treat me. Honestly it sounds like that is what is going on with you. According to what I have read it takes quite awhile for the small bowel to digest fat well. I still have problems and Canola oil is the worst. It is a pesticide and it reeks havoc on my small intestine. I started keeping a food diary and I have found that I tend to have problems if I eat sweets. I think that has to do with the overgrowth. I'm not going to have the colonoscopy and endoscopy done until May when my genetic testing comes back for this really rare blood disease I tested positive for in 1982. The hematologist believes I never did have that disease and I have another autoimmune disease and she believes that because usually if you have one autoimmune disease you have another one piggybacked. The other thing is you might be vitamin deficient. This doctor ran a panel on me to determine if that is the case. Throughout my life I have been diagnosed with pernicious anemia and low magnesium so I could be having problems with that. Also this doctor told me that it takes time for the villi to heal and for each person it is different. It's not like other diseases where you take a course of medications and you are healed within 10-14 days or even a month. I think we don't get quick miracle cures but we get baby steps where we feel better and better.

Try eliminating all soy, corn and legumes. I have two Celiac friends who discovered they could not eat these foods or they would have horrible gas, bloating, etc. If you feel like your diet is becoming too limited, eat squash and yams/sweet potatoes.

U guys are all so helpful I feel like I've been going through hell I found out my dads been marinating meat in gluten free sauces with vinigar n peppers and sapices which I know I can't tolerate spices yet I know vweegies give gas but idk what kind of meals I should be eating I wanna eat only natural but I feel like I can't eat anythin oh ya I completly forgot about gum? Maybe that's why too? I got the endoscopy n colon done n blood tests they would have known it was candidia? But I have had wheat for a while without knowing and was binging on sugar for like a month after cause my cravings were bad but not worth the pain so I stopped. Maybe that made it worse. I juat used to get depressed and crave it. I'm gonna stck with the all natural no soy was gonna try tofu I guess that's out. How do u get nutrition without veggies and fruit I kno u need balanced ph. Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it. I feel like no one understands :(