Rate this topic

I had an endoscopy today, and apparently everything looked normal. (I was still groggy or something when the doctor came, but that's what my friend told me he said...) I'm still waiting on the results from the biopsies, but I'm terrified they are going to come back negative too. I've been sick for a long time (alternating nausea/cramping/feeling like my stomach is on fire). I've also had alternating constipation and diarhea, and a nasty case of vertigo a few weeks ago. I've had a constant headache for the past week, and a lot of times I see excessive after images. I'm convinced my friends think i'm just crazy because I tell them I'm sick all the time. If I get one more negative test result I might cry :(

Do a lot of people get a normal looking endoscopy but positive biopsy results?

Yes, many many here have tried testing but it was negative. Tried the diet and got rid of all their symptoms.

Don't lose hope. Testing is only part of the answer. There is a high rate of false negatives and you are still in control of what you eat.

This is when you try the gluten free diet very strictly for yourself. You may be gluten intolerant or one of those who have it, but not high enough in antibodies to test positive.

All of your symptoms seem to match and you have nothing to lose but pain in trying the diet. Testing helps give an answer, but it doesn't mean it is accurate.

Elimination is 100% accurate. If you want to test/challenge by eating gluten after a couple of weeks you can.

Many get very sick from that next bite of gluten once it is out of your system. Now you start investigating and listening to your body reactions.

Thanks for the advice! It's very comforting to hear I'm not crazy. Just went out and bought gluten free stuff!

Thanks again!

Welcome and do read as much here as you can. Your doctor can not tell just by looking whether you will be positive on biopsy or not. That's why they need to do the biopsy.

It is best at first to go with whole unprocessed food as much as possible. You will need a new gluten-free dedicated toaster, replace all condiments, nut butter, etc that you had used when you were eating gluten and don't share them with non gluten free folks. Also replace your pasta strainer and any wooden or scratched utensils and pans. Even a small amount of gluten will keep you reacting so you need to be very strict with the diet. It is also a good idea to avoid restaurants at first as the CC risk is high in many. If you must eat out do so at places that have a gluten-free menu. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.