Rate this topic

My 15yo daughter was vomiting really bad one day, followed by increasing stomach pain and constant burping (no more vomiting). The GI dr said "IBS" (even though she did not have symptoms of constipation and diarrhea)and maybe lactose intolerance. She was never lactose intolerant before, but we stopped lactose anyway and the pain continued. We got the following lab results, but the GI still thinks this is IBS since TTG and EMA were negative. We started the gluten free diet on our own after getting labs to try to help her and she is now starting to feel better. Do you think these labs indicate celiac? I just want to help her feel better.

TTG Ab IgA=negative

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

EMA IgA=negative

Total IgA=135 (44-441)

DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)=DQ2 heterozygous

My 15yo daughter was vomiting really bad one day, followed by increasing stomach pain and constant burping (no more vomiting). The GI dr said "IBS" (even though she did not have symptoms of constipation and diarrhea)and maybe lactose intolerance. She was never lactose intolerant before, but we stopped lactose anyway and the pain continued. We got the following lab results, but the GI still thinks this is IBS since TTG and EMA were negative. We started the gluten free diet on our own after getting labs to try to help her and she is now starting to feel better. Do you think these labs indicate celiac? I just want to help her feel better.

TTG Ab IgA=negative

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

EMA IgA=negative

Total IgA=135 (44-441)

DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)=DQ2 heterozygous

It looks like these results-

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

are positive and since these are the newest and best blood tests for celiac IMHO you are doing the right thing by having her go gluten free. It would be a good idea to test everyone in the family now.

• Upvote 1

It looks like these results-

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

are positive and since these are the newest and best blood tests for celiac IMHO you are doing the right thing by having her go gluten free. It would be a good idea to test everyone in the family now.

Thank you!!! I feel like the pushy mom having to fight to get the labs done, and now to find a new GI dr who will listen, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. I will definitely get the rest of us tested.

ya, in my honest opinion- with the positive DGP, DQ2, symptoms, and relief on diet-> i would presume she is a celiac, and that you're catching it before it's bad enough to score positive on all the tests.

the EMA test is a difficult one to do in the lab- it is subject to human error and could easily be a false negative.

I would trust the DGP. Doctors have been taught to trust the TtG and the EMA.

I appreciate everyone's advice. It helps me to know that I am on the right track. Truly, thank you!!!

Thank you!!! I feel like the pushy mom having to fight to get the labs done, and now to find a new GI dr who will listen, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. I will definitely get the rest of us tested.

If she is already gluten free and feeling better, combined with those test results, a new GI isn't really going to be of much help unless you put her on gluten again for a couple months so they can biopsy. Even back on gluten and feeling ill she may still have a false negative with the biopsy. You don't need a GI to test the other family members your regular GP can order the blood tests. Just make sure they don't stop eating gluten before testing. If your concerned that she may need the 'official' diagnosis for when she goes off to college talk to your GP and tell them of the good results on the diet and bring a copy of the blood test results. Your GP has likely known about her issues if they have been brought up in any office visits and may give her the 'official' diagnosis if you need it for school or college.