Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 15yo daughter was vomiting really bad one day, followed by increasing stomach pain and constant burping (no more vomiting). The GI dr said "IBS" (even though she did not have symptoms of constipation and diarrhea)and maybe lactose intolerance. She was never lactose intolerant before, but we stopped lactose anyway and the pain continued. We got the following lab results, but the GI still thinks this is IBS since TTG and EMA were negative. We started the gluten free diet on our own after getting labs to try to help her and she is now starting to feel better. Do you think these labs indicate celiac? I just want to help her feel better.

TTG Ab IgA=negative

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

EMA IgA=negative

Total IgA=135 (44-441)

DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)=DQ2 heterozygous

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My 15yo daughter was vomiting really bad one day, followed by increasing stomach pain and constant burping (no more vomiting). The GI dr said "IBS" (even though she did not have symptoms of constipation and diarrhea)and maybe lactose intolerance. She was never lactose intolerant before, but we stopped lactose anyway and the pain continued. We got the following lab results, but the GI still thinks this is IBS since TTG and EMA were negative. We started the gluten free diet on our own after getting labs to try to help her and she is now starting to feel better. Do you think these labs indicate celiac? I just want to help her feel better.

TTG Ab IgA=negative

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

EMA IgA=negative

Total IgA=135 (44-441)

DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)=DQ2 heterozygous

It looks like these results-

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

are positive and since these are the newest and best blood tests for celiac IMHO you are doing the right thing by having her go gluten free. It would be a good idea to test everyone in the family now.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

It looks like these results-

DGP IgG=4 + (range <1.3)

DGP IgA=6 + (range <2.9)

are positive and since these are the newest and best blood tests for celiac IMHO you are doing the right thing by having her go gluten free. It would be a good idea to test everyone in the family now.

Thank you!!! I feel like the pushy mom having to fight to get the labs done, and now to find a new GI dr who will listen, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. I will definitely get the rest of us tested.

ya, in my honest opinion- with the positive DGP, DQ2, symptoms, and relief on diet-> i would presume she is a celiac, and that you're catching it before it's bad enough to score positive on all the tests.

the EMA test is a difficult one to do in the lab- it is subject to human error and could easily be a false negative.

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

I would trust the DGP. Doctors have been taught to trust the TtG and the EMA.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Thank you!!! I feel like the pushy mom having to fight to get the labs done, and now to find a new GI dr who will listen, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. I will definitely get the rest of us tested.

If she is already gluten free and feeling better, combined with those test results, a new GI isn't really going to be of much help unless you put her on gluten again for a couple months so they can biopsy. Even back on gluten and feeling ill she may still have a false negative with the biopsy. You don't need a GI to test the other family members your regular GP can order the blood tests. Just make sure they don't stop eating gluten before testing. If your concerned that she may need the 'official' diagnosis for when she goes off to college talk to your GP and tell them of the good results on the diet and bring a copy of the blood test results. Your GP has likely known about her issues if they have been brought up in any office visits and may give her the 'official' diagnosis if you need it for school or college.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)