odd1

Gi Doc Ran Labs..negatives And A Weak Positive

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I've been feeling like crap for awhile--super exhausted, tingly wrists and ankles. Went to my regular doc who ran autoimmune tests for lupus and RA in addition to normal blood tests. Only thing that came back was that I am "critically deficient" in Vitamin D. I then went to a GI doc because I've always had stomach trouble (I'm so used to it that I never mentioned it to my regular doctor who I've only known for a year) and I thought there might be a malabsorption issue to make the Vit. D so low (it was a 6. Normal, according to the doctor is 30).

GI doc took inventory of my symptoms. Was very concerned about the Vitamin D level and also said B12 was lower than it should be. He said he would run tests for food allergies, Celiac and Inflammatory Bowel. He called today and said everything was fine in the results except for a shrimp allergy (I had no idea), to take Culturelle for a few weeks and then let him know if things are improved. He said aside from the shrimp issue that I showed a weak positive for Gliadin, but that the test is outdated and the other test that was done was a negative which means I don't have Celiac. He said I might feel a little better if I tried to eliminate wheat from my diet.

I hung up the phone really confused. So, I don't have Celiac, but maybe if I limit wheat and other gluten I'll feel a little better? I'm not sure if he was giving me an off-the-cuff suggestion or a concrete direction.

I picked up a copy of the results to bring to the rheumatologist my regular doc told me to see for about the joints. She told me she'd want to see the results of these tests when they came back to help her create a fuller picture.

So I was looking at the results myself and I'm super confused. I thought perhaps someone here might be able to help me interpret and maybe figure out what exactly I'm supposed to be doing now and whether I should drop the idea that gluten is a problem for me. Results below. Thanks very much for reading/responding =)

Autoimmune Antibodies

GLIADIN DEAMIDA 5.6 Units (< 20.0)

GLIADIN DEAM. negative

Method: EIA

GLIAD DEAM. IgG Reference

GLIADIN DEAMIDA 27.0H United (<20.0)

GLIADIN DEAM weak pos

GLIAD DEAM IgA Reference

Autoimmune Antibodies

TRANSGLUTAMINAS < 5 Units (< 20.0)

TRANSGLUT IGG negative

Transglutaminase IgG Reference

TRANSGLUTAMINAS 8.1 Units (< 20.0)

TRANSGLUT IGA negative

Transglutaminase IgA Reference

ASCA IGA AB 19.5 Units (< 20.0)

ASCA IGA INTERP negative

ASCA IGG AB 18.5 Units (< 20.0)

ASCA IGG INTERP negative

Method: ELISA

Since this test:

GLIADIN DEAMIDA 27.0H United (<20.0)

GLIADIN DEAM weak pos

GLIAD DEAM IgA Reference

was positive, even though a weak positive it isn't something you should really ignore. It is one of the newer and more reliable tests. After you are done with all celiac related testing do give the diet a good strict try.

Yes, that DGP is the most sensitive test and even though the others were negative, you should try gluten-free after deciding to do or not do a biopsy.

Even if a biopsy, if done, is negative, you could be in a very early stage of celiac disease, where the damage is mild and/or patchy. (That makes it hard catch it in the tiny biopsies and harder to read the pathology with any certainty.)

So often the weak positives turn into strong positives if you keep eating gluten. I would definitely try the gluten free diet for at least a couple of months when all testing is finished and note if you feel better.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

The GI doc was pretty adamant that the results indicate I don't have celiac though, so I'm pretty sure a biopsy is not going to happen (he didn't mention it). I suppose I'll talk it over with the rheumatologist when her tests for other stuff come back. She'd said she wanted to hear about the results.

Basically the GI doc said that even though the one test was a weak positive, the other test (the TTG one) being negative is more reliable. He said the TTG test is newer and more accurate. I guess I was wondering why he even ordered the gliadin test if it is outdated. Or if it really is even outdated. Arrgh! This is all so confusing. I feel like I need a reference manual.

He is wrong, IMHO, the tTG is an older test; the DGP is the new one which picks up so much of what the tTG misses.

• Upvote 1

Thanks again for all the input.

Wanted to let you guys know that rheumatologist gave me her input on the test results. She said they are conflicting, but the more definitive test was a negative. Likely, I don't have celiac then. Also, all other rheum tests came back negative, which is great.

She advised me to go gluten free for one month and see if it makes a difference in how I'm feeling, and to make an appointment with her when as the end of the gluten-free month approaches.

So, I'm trying that out. Gluten free, day two. I need to go shopping. I'm hopeful that I might feel better with the diet change and then, celiac or not, at least I'll have a way to feel good.

Thanks again for all the input.

Wanted to let you guys know that rheumatologist gave me her input on the test results. She said they are conflicting, but the more definitive test was a negative. Likely, I don't have celiac then. Also, all other rheum tests came back negative, which is great.

She advised me to go gluten free for one month and see if it makes a difference in how I'm feeling, and to make an appointment with her when as the end of the gluten-free month approaches.

So, I'm trying that out. Gluten free, day two. I need to go shopping. I'm hopeful that I might feel better with the diet change and then, celiac or not, at least I'll have a way to feel good.

Glad your giving the diet a try. Be strict and give it at least a couple of months as sometimes the first month or so can be full of ups and downs. Go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Be sure to check all meds and supplements.