yaelchai

Anyone Choke When Eating Certain Foods?

Rate this topic

For years (many years before being diagnosed with celiac), every few months when I am eating I have had a feeling of food being stuck in my chest and then I vomit to be able to continue eating. This happens when I eat raw carrots (every time) and sometimes when I eat other foods. I finally spoke to my doctor about it, and she said since it has been happening for 10 years and has not gotten any worse, I shouldn't worry about it. (I did have an endoscopy when I had a colonoscopy that was fine.)

Recently I've been wondering if this could have anything to do with celiac (or damage I might have incurred from it)? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a friend here that has something similar. Her problem has to do with the sphincter muscle that leads into the stomach. Hers was so tight she had surgery to cut it enough to loosen it.. which changed the foods she was able to eat.

Hers was so bad(tight) that, in the end, she couldn't get Ensure down and sometimes water. Initially it was foods that were in pieces and would 'catch' or get caught above the sphincter.

I don't know if this is your problem.. but I offer it for you to consider..

There are other disorders that seem to go along with Celiac. Barret's esophagus, Eosinophilic Esophagitus, a hernia, and sphinter issues can cause difficulty with swallowing food.

I would not just blow it off because "It hasn't gotten any worse" like the doctor said. It may be ten years of damage that can finally be diagnosed now because of better doctor knowledge.

I have a problem sometimes where food seems to get stuck going down, right above 6he stomach. I suppose that could be the sphincter muscle. or weakness in the muscles of the esophagus. It used to happen more often for me, but is fairly rare now. It was always worse when I was gassed up in the stomach. I don't know if it is caused by nerve damage from malabsorption or something else. A glass of water helps me out when it happens.

It sounds just like eosophilic esophagitis (EE). My husband has EE and I have celiac. We share a GI doc, and he has seen a lot of patients with celiac develop EE and vice versa.