Rdrose2499

Am I Possibly A Celiac!

Rate this topic

I am trying to figure out if I may be a celiac. I just had a celiac panel drawn on Thurs along with thyroid tests. My symptoms include severe constipation, smelly stools with mucus sometimes. Distended abdomen with a lot of gas and most disturbing is that I have lost 18 lbs in just over 1 year without intending to do so.

Hello, and welcome. Yes, all these symptoms can easily be attributed to celiac disease,and I can see why they would want to test you. Good luck and hang in there while you wait for your results. :)

I received my results today. The thyroid tests were normal and the celiac panel was negative. At this point my doctor is going to refer me to a GI doctor for further assessment.

Is it a good idea to try and go gluten-free right now? I tried this past weekened and felt really good, so I'm wondering if I should keep trying to avoid wheat and gluten.

If you feel better, yes avoid it. Anything that makes you feel better is good for sure :)

I had a negative blood test too, currently still under the doctor trying to figure out what the problem is, but I do know that despite the negative bloods, gluten still makes me feel terrible.

The GI may want to do an endoscopy anyway, despite the negative blood test. In that case you would need to continue eating gluten.

I'm getting tested on May 5th... I really hope you find out what's wrong so you can start feeling better soon. :(