mielle

Celiac Gene Test Results

Rate this topic

I have received my son's celiac gene test results. They are as follows:

HLA-DQA1*05 POSITIVE

HLA-DQB1*02 Negative

HLA-DQB1*0302 Negative.

Does this mean he definitely cannot have celiac disease, or does the presence of the positive result mean there is a small chance of him having/developing celiac disease.

Thanks

I have received my son's celiac gene test results. They are as follows:

HLA-DQA1*05 POSITIVE

HLA-DQB1*02 Negative

HLA-DQB1*0302 Negative.

Does this mean he definitely cannot have celiac disease, or does the presence of the positive result mean there is a small chance of him having/developing celiac disease.

Thanks

Hi mielle,

According to what you've written above, it looks like your son definitely falls into the "pool of possibility" with the positive genetic marker. If he shows symptoms, he is a candidate for celiac and should be tested further. He should remain on a gluten FILLED diet until all testing is done... meaning all blood tests (serology) and biopsy if indicated. Good luck to you and hope he feels better soon!

On a side note, each parent gave him one set of genetic markers, so one parent has at least that same positive allele, however they may never have symptoms or the disease. On the other hand they could have "silent" celiac or active celiac with symptoms. . Just food for thought.

Gene testing is only a small part of the picture. There are diagnosed celiacs that do not have the two genes most commonly associated with celiac. While gene testing can at times be helpful it is only one diagnostic tool. The best test being response to the diet after all testing is completed.

• Upvote 1