badlass

Going In For My Biopsy

Rate this topic

on Tuesday I'm going in for my biopsy and I was wondering what it was like for those of you who have had it. is there anything I should do to prepare for it? were you put under anesthesia? if so, what kind? do they do general anesthesia? I'm told I can opt to be sedated, which I will because I have panic attacks during any kind of medical procedure after some bad experiences. what do they use to sedate you? I'm already taking 2nd Ativan (you may know it as lorazepam) twice daily, so I'm worried the sedative they use may be too mild compared to what my body is used to.

also, how should I dress? what does it feel like post-procedure? I heard some people got bad sore throats - how long did that last? were you told to take anything for it? I'm really on edge and just want to go in prepared. I know I'm not to eat 12 hours before and not to drink 3 hours before but that was all I was told. Any information would be greatly appreciated. if I think of mote questions I'll come back.

on Tuesday I'm going in for my biopsy and I was wondering what it was like for those of you who have had it. is there anything I should do to prepare for it? were you put under anesthesia? if so, what kind? do they do general anesthesia? I'm told I can opt to be sedated, which I will because I have panic attacks during any kind of medical procedure after some bad experiences. what do they use to sedate you? I'm already taking 2nd Ativan (you may know it as lorazepam) twice daily, so I'm worried the sedative they use may be too mild compared to what my body is used to.

also, how should I dress? what does it feel like post-procedure? I heard some people got bad sore throats - how long did that last? were you told to take anything for it? I'm really on edge and just want to go in prepared. I know I'm not to eat 12 hours before and not to drink 3 hours before but that was all I was told. Any information would be greatly appreciated. if I think of mote questions I'll come back.

I had mine done last summer. I got an IV shortly after I arrived (I hate needles, so that was probably the worst part for me) - and that's what they used to administer the anesthesia. I was completely out and I think the whole thing was pretty fast. My throat wasn't sort at all afterwards. Since it was summer, I think I just wore shorts and a t-shirt.

Make sure to tell the docs what meds you are already on. I had both scopes done at once twice. The first time they started with the lower scope and that experience was not great, but the GI did the anesthesia himself and I have twisted intestines so that was the problem. The endo part of that was fine as by then I was out of it. When I had the scopes redone with a different doctor they had an anesthesiologist there and I went to sleep and woke up with both procedures done. No after effects at all that time.

My greatest fear was fear itself. I was very nervous about having an invasive procedure. I was put under a light anesthesia (Propofal in my case...might depend on the doctor/hospital). It's not long lasting but I didn't feel a thing....although I was pretty loopy afterward. :P I did not have a sore throat afterwards. And I got wonderful colored pictures to take home with me. :lol:

I was really bloated afterwards and couldn't button my jeans. That was the worst side effect for me so not bad in the scheme of things. You will need someone to take you as you won't be able to drive afterwards. I came home and had a light lunch (made a pot of chicken and rice soup the day before). You might want a nap afterwards. I decided to lie down for awhile but didn't sleep as I wasn't tired. So all-in-all, it was a pretty easy procedure. Good luck with yours!