sodakgal

Sores In Nose?

Rate this topic

Could it be that this has been an effect of Celiac? I've gotten sores in my nose for at least 10-15 years, usually a few times a year, usually when I am feeling under the weather or tired, or stressed. At one point a Dr. gave me antibiotics for it because he said it was a staff infection. That helped for a couple of years, but they have returned. I just assumed it was a cold sore and now I am wondering if it is related to gluten exposure. I'm fairly new at the Celiac thing (a few months since diagnosed) and now I am starting to connect all of the weird conditions I have had to gluten. It's really blowing my mind... I tell ya.... Anyway, I bring it up now because I have been gluten free for a couple of months, and I do have a little sore forming in my nose now. It's not huge like it usually is, but I wonder if I have been exposed to gluten within the last few days and not known it. I have been good about the diet, but I have not replaced any pots and pans, or the toaster, basically I have been pretty relaxed about CC. Wonder if it's time to get serious about this change of lifestyle.

I have been good about the diet, but I have not replaced any pots and pans, or the toaster, basically I have been pretty relaxed about CC. Wonder if it's time to get serious about this change of lifestyle.

Your last sentence says it all. We often become more sensitive to CC after we have healed a bit and it is something you do have to be careful to avoid.

Since you describe the sores as being like cold sores, which are caused by the herpes virus, and the skin condition associated with celiac is called Dermatitis Herpetiformis ("herpes-like"), you may very well have DH. Many of us with celiac do. If you want to ensure that you NEVER get another one of those sores again, try eliminating iodine along with gluten. Many DH sufferers have to ingest BOTH gluten and iodine to cause the DH to flare up. Before I knew I had celiac, I controlled the blisters by eliminating iodine (thought I had an allergy to iodine). Iodine can be found in iodized salt, seafood, dairy products (except organic), and asparagus. I've found that as long as iodine is avoided, accidental CC from gluten doesn't cause a DH outbreak. Maybe this will work for you, too...