anna34

Question About Celiac Symptoms

Rate this topic

Why is it that Celiac can cause some people to have C and others to have D? Many members of my family are being tested and are asking why it is that the same condition can cause such different gut reactions. Does anybody know why or how this happens? Thanks.

Why is it that Celiac can cause some people to have C and others to have D? Many members of my family are being tested and are asking why it is that the same condition can cause such different gut reactions. Does anybody know why or how this happens? Thanks.

I'm no doctor, but if you think about it... celiac is a systemic autoimmune disease. Systemic, meaning it can affect any part of your internal system, and it affects people differently. There could be reasons for this that science has not identified yet. It could be that people with certain genetics are more prone tummy problems, others more prone to neurological issues, others have the skin issues, and many have a variety of things. It could be that blood types make a difference, it could be that environment, or other secondary food intolerances are at play. Its really difficult to pinpoint why certain people have certain issues, and that's why research about gluten intolerance is really in its infancy. There is so much they don't know yet. That's why we all try so hard to figure out how our individual bodies react to different foods, etc. Your family members have genes from the same people, but the combinations are different, so no two people will react identically to the same things, if that makes sense.

C and D on this forum usually refer to constipation and diarrhea. In another context they refer to vitamins.