Asharia

How To Get Testing Outside Of Through A Doctor?

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I was diagnosed 5 years ago via blood test and endoscopy. I have reason to believe that my grandfather may have had undiagnosed celiac (due to symptoms), and I know it can run in families anyway. My family's (parents and younger brother) doctor refuses to have them get the blood antibody test because they are symptom free - he says that insurance won't cover it. I think my parents would be willing to food the bill if it isn't exorbitant just to get me to stop pestering them - is there anywhere they can go to request the test and pay for it on their own? They live in Michigan, by the way.

Thanks for your help!

Hello all,

I was diagnosed 5 years ago via blood test and endoscopy. I have reason to believe that my grandfather may have had undiagnosed celiac (due to symptoms), and I know it can run in families anyway. My family's (parents and younger brother) doctor refuses to have them get the blood antibody test because they are symptom free - he says that insurance won't cover it. I think my parents would be willing to food the bill if it isn't exorbitant just to get me to stop pestering them - is there anywhere they can go to request the test and pay for it on their own? They live in Michigan, by the way.

If they are willing to pay for it themselves, the doc could still order it and run it through the insurance. Then, if the insurance doesn't pay, they would. However, he should use the diagnosis code for family history of genetic disease. Be right back with some info from other doctors he might look at.

Ok. I'm back. I'm trying to get dinner going, too. Look around this site I posted for more info. They have free screenings in Chicago, usually in Oct. But check & see. My kids have no symptoms but insurance paid for their blood work because it is a genetic disease and I have it.

http://www.celiacdisease.net/testing