Kimmy1119

Positive Blood Test - Does That Mean I Have The Disease?

Rate this topic

Hi! I am new to this forum, and new to Celiac/gluten free lifestyle. I have been fighting anemia for a couple of years now and last week received blood results from hematologist. She said that I tested positive on two ( I don't even remember what they were) tests that point to Celiac disease. She recommended me to a GI doctor for consultation. My question is, how likely is it that I have the disease? Are the blood tests usually right, or is there a chance that I could be celiac free?

Also, any advice on how to adapt to a gluten free lifestyle is extremely appreciated! Should I go gluten free now or should I wait until after I visit the GI doc?

Thanks so much!

Hello and Welcome...you've found the right place!

Here are some answers to questions you might have:

http://www.celiaccenter.org/celiac/faq.asp

Please do not go gluten free until you have satisfied your testing. Gluten needs to be in your system for accuracy in testing.

This is a great place....take a walk around. :)

While false negatives are common with testing false positives are not. Do stay on gluten until your done with all the testing you choose to do. Be aware that biopsies can also have a fairly high rate of false negatives so not matter what the results of the biopsy are do get on the diet as soon as the testing is finished. You can start the day they do the biopsy you don't need to wait for the results.

Hello and Welcome...you've found the right place!

Here are some answers to questions you might have:

http://www.celiaccenter.org/celiac/faq.asp

Please do not go gluten free until you have satisfied your testing. Gluten needs to be in your system for accuracy in testing.

This is a great place....take a walk around. :)

Thanks so much! This is a bit overwhelming and I am sure I will feel more comfortable once I have my diet set. Old habits are hard to break, but if it means feeling better, I am so ready to break them! :)

While false negatives are common with testing false positives are not. Do stay on gluten until your done with all the testing you choose to do. Be aware that biopsies can also have a fairly high rate of false negatives so not matter what the results of the biopsy are do get on the diet as soon as the testing is finished. You can start the day they do the biopsy you don't need to wait for the results.

Thank you so much for the advice! I have a feeling I'm going to be needing a lot more soon! :unsure: