This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions

JenM.

JenM. Newbie

Hi I just stumbled across this site today while trying to do some research. I don't know that I belong here but I have questions.

Some background first I guess. My mom suspects that she has this, but she had never heard of it before she cut gluten out of her diet and she wasn't about to go back on it for testing. She had done some digging into the family history and also suspects her aunt had Celiac as well. My great aunt passed away years ago (she would have been in her 90's now) so there is no real way to know.

I haven't had all the gi issues but have noticed that breads etc make me very bloated (I look about 6 months preg :( )and leave me in a fog. There are a few other symptoms that would match this too. I guess I started noticing some of the symptoms after my son was born just about 12 years ago, but just lived with it.

I had a rather nasty allergic reaction to something that took me about 4 weeks to recover from. I am waiting to have allergy testing done in June to try and find the culprit. I guess I am wondering if I should wait to see what the allergy testing says and then talk to the dr. about possible celiac? If it's an allergy does that for sure rule out celiac? Should I ask for a blood test now? Why is it important to have an official diagnosis? I read a few people talk about nutrient testing? Is that really important?

Thank you for your responses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Hi I just stumbled across this site today while trying to do some research. I don't know that I belong here but I have questions.

Some background first I guess. My mom suspects that she has this, but she had never heard of it before she cut gluten out of her diet and she wasn't about to go back on it for testing. She had done some digging into the family history and also suspects her aunt had Celiac as well. My great aunt passed away years ago (she would have been in her 90's now) so there is no real way to know.

I haven't had all the gi issues but have noticed that breads etc make me very bloated (I look about 6 months preg :( )and leave me in a fog. There are a few other symptoms that would match this too. I guess I started noticing some of the symptoms after my son was born just about 12 years ago, but just lived with it.

I had a rather nasty allergic reaction to something that took me about 4 weeks to recover from. I am waiting to have allergy testing done in June to try and find the culprit. I guess I am wondering if I should wait to see what the allergy testing says and then talk to the dr. about possible celiac? If it's an allergy does that for sure rule out celiac? Should I ask for a blood test now? Why is it important to have an official diagnosis? I read a few people talk about nutrient testing? Is that really important?

Thank you for your responses.

u should ask for a blood test now! are you eating gluten regularly??? (equivalent of 4 slices of bread per day?)... if so, then -if i were u, i would get a blood test now- no sense in putting it off- because you may feel so bad later on- that u may not want to do a "gluten challenge"... so do the test now- demand a complete Celiac panel:

TTG Iga & Igg

DGP (Deamidated Gliadine Peptide)- if this new test is not available- get this: AGA Iga & Igg

Endomysial Antibodies

you should get all 3 above, and consider or ask your doc about: Total Iga Serum, and maybe the Genetic test.

definitely do it soon while you're still eating it and are symptomatic. the Allergy test has nothing to do with Celiac- altho, many of us have developed new allergies since going gluten free- they are really seperate issues- you could have one or the other, or BOTH... if you test positive for a wheat allergy- you could STILL have Celiac or NonCeliac Gluten Intolerance. they do NOT rule out eachother.

good luck and keep us posted

JenM. Newbie

You are right I should. My mom had suggested I get tested 6 years ago (she's been off the stuff closer to 20 years now) I guess I am scared that I will have it. The thought of the whole new diet is overwhelming. My gut reaction was how am I supposed to give up bread? I guess I have finally hit the point where it is looking like I have to give it up anyway.

I keep reading that you shouldn't go gluten free without consulting a dr first. So how does this work for people with kids? I am a single working mom and couldn't imagine trying to come home and make 2 separate dinners... is it safe for kids to go gluten free if they don't need to?

mushroom Proficient

There is no essential nutrient in the gluten protein, so it is a perfectly healthy, if somewhat inconvenient, diet. It is certainly a lot more convenient if the whole household is gluten free, both in ease of cooking and in avoiding cross-contamination of food. You can get all the fiber you need from vegetables and fruits. The odds are that at least one of your children will carry a gluten intolerance/celiac gene also which means that at some point in their lives they too may become gluten intolerant, especially considering your mother has it too.

Do get the test and get it over with.

Archived