clsx2

Bread Machine, Yeast, And Flour Questions...

Rate this topic

I never knew bread required a special type of flour, so on my 1st shopping trip to a gluten-free grocery I just picked up a 5lb bag of all purpose flour. Got home and looked up recipes only to find that I needed a different flour, or two, plus other "stuff". So before I go any further on this bread issue...do I want to use quick rise yeast? Which bread machine to buy? Any good, yet easy gluten-free bread recipes? The fewer the ingredients the better!

Thanks,

Crystal

I never knew bread required a special type of flour, so on my 1st shopping trip to a gluten-free grocery I just picked up a 5lb bag of all purpose flour. Got home and looked up recipes only to find that I needed a different flour, or two, plus other "stuff". So before I go any further on this bread issue...do I want to use quick rise yeast? Which bread machine to buy? Any good, yet easy gluten-free bread recipes? The fewer the ingredients the better!

Thanks,

Crystal

Just curious...what brand of flour did you get? Did you also buy xanthan gum? Unless it's already in the flour, it's a crucial ingredient in gluten-free baking. Are there any recipes on the bag or a website that you can go to for that particular company as many do provide a lot of recipes? After a year, I am *still* searching for a perfect bread recipe. I made a loaf of sandwich bread from the King Arthur website yesterday and wasn't all that pleased with it. I may try another loaf today or tomorrow. I just ordered their all-purpose gluten-free flour and also a bread mix to see how it compares (plus a few other things that I figured I might as well add to my collection as long as I had to pay shipping).

It seems every cookbook author has their own special blend(s) of flour. I probably have 15 to 20 different kinds and yes, I do use both quick-rise and regular active dry yeast. Again it depends on the recipe. I think I'm a flour junkie.

I don't have a bread machine as I debated between it and a KitchenAid stand mixer and the mixer won as I figured it would be more versatile. I was looking at the Zojirushi. I don't have room for both.