cait

Did I Make This Up?

Rate this topic

Despite negative blood tests, I decided to go gluten-free a few weeks ago to see if it helped any of my symptoms (joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, digestive crankiness). Within days I felt more hopeful that I was on the right track than I have in 10 years. I went back on gluten after less than a week off so that I could do a final round of testing for Celiac, including biopsy (my dad has it, so I kind of wanted all the information I could get, and wanted to know exactly how strict I need to be). My biopsy was Friday and I've been gluten-free again since then. I think my head is starting to feel clearer, but the response hasn't been as quick or dramatic this time. Is it normal to have a different response if you've been on and off gluten? Could some of it be my body recovering from the anesthesia (it knocked me out pretty solidly and left me feeling pretty hungover)? I know it hasn't been long, but I'm pretty quick to doubt myself about this kind of stuff, so I guess I just need reassurance that gluten could still be my problem, even if all the tests come back negative for celiac, and even if I don't feel better as quickly this time. Could I have made up the clearer head, increased energy, decreased stomach pain, etc that I had a few weeks ago after going gluten-free the first time?

Hi Cait,

It takes me four solid days following an accidental glutening to feel good again.

I scheduled my endoscopy for a Monday thinking I could go to work on Tuesday, but I ended up calling in sick. I'd been gluten-free for months before I had the procedure, so I think I reacted to the soy in the anesthesia.

No, I don't think it was all in your mind. If you felt better than you had in ten years, I think you have some better living to look forward to! :D

And congratulations for continuing with the gluten and getting the testing. That took real courage and determination.

If you don't feel better tomorrow, Tuesday will be a better day.

No your not imagining feeling better. It does take some time to heal and after we have been gluten free for a bit a glutening can be more severe and take longer to get over. No matter what the results are of the biopsy and or blood tests do give the diet a good strict go for at least a month or two.

No matter what the results are of the biopsy and or blood tests do give the diet a good strict go for at least a month or two.

Oh, I will. I'm not giving up. I'm just good at doubting myself. I spent more of the last 10 years than I want to think about going through every treatment under the sun for Lyme Disease. I spent most of it assuming I'd feel like this for the rest of my life (and the more recent years, feeling worse and worse and having less and less hope). Having another possible answer/solution is an amazing possibility, but one that's hard to trust. So it's easy to think that I must have just imagined the improvement in my desperation to have a magic fix. Thanks for the encouragement.