samuella

Help With Labels And Cc Please!

Rate this topic

I'm trying to figure out label and cc issues. Please help if you can! Would you eat food with only a few ingredients where you are sure the ingreds aren't gluten but it's not declared gluten-free? What about if it doesn't say either way if it's processed in a facility with wheat?

Also I've been eating Garden of Eatin' Organic Baked Yellow Tortilla Chips. The ingred list says: (all organic) "yellow corn, canola oil and/or safflower oil and/or sunflower oil, brown flax seed, soybean grits, sea salt. Contains soy." I've contacted the company, Hain Celestial, and they responded with a lengthy email, but the important bits are:

- Reading the label is the best way to check for the presence of ingredients which contain gluten. If gluten is a major ingredient, it will be specified in the ingredient list. For consumers concerned about the presence of trace amounts of gluten, we suggest avoiding products that include natural flavors or spices.

- Hain Celestial Group products that make a gluten-free claim will carry the triangular Gluten-Free symbol, be labeled gluten-free, or specify Gluten Free certification by GFCO. (no label on this)

- The Hain Celestial Group's labeling declares major allergens (peanuts, soybeans, milk, eggs, fish, crustaceans, tree nuts, and wheat) and we follow the U.S. FDA's regulations. We recognize the serious nature of the allergen issue and we strive to minimize risk.

- Both major and minor ingredients of all products, as well as all processing procedures and equipment, are closely scrutinized and all potential allergen issues as determined by the Hain Celestial Group are declared on our labeling.

So do you think this is safe? The last bit seems to me to say if it had a risk of cc with wheat at least (though not nec other gluten) that it would be declared on the label.

This is making my head hurt! Any guidance would be much appreciated! :)

Oh and I'm in Canada if that makes a difference!

If the company distinguishes which of their products are gluten free and which of their products aren't, I don't know if I would eat chips from them that were undeclared gluten free. I mean they are fried and since they aren't labeled as gluten free, they may be fried in the same oil as a product that contains gluten.

A google search shows that they did a voluntary recall of their multi grain chips back in February of this year for undeclared wheat and soy. I'm guessing those chips are produced in the same line as the ones you are wanting to eat. I personally would be very leery of them.

Xochitl chips are declared gluten free but, I don't know if they are actually certified as it doesn't carry the GFCO label. They are thin and crispy like the chips you get in a restaurant and they are absolutely delicious. They are also incredibly expensive at $5.00+ for a bag but, that price is for the organic blue corn ones. The white corn and yellow corn ones are usually about a dollar cheaper but, I have never seen the yellow ones in a store.

• Upvote 1