This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Invited To A Tea

freeatlast

freeatlast Collaborator

You know, I never go to these things because I know whatever I take is all I'll be able to eat. Half the fun of it is sampling what everyone else brings.

But, I've decided to try it this time and only eat what I end up taking along with the tea. The only problem is I have no idea what to bake.

Does anybody have ideas and/or recipes you'd like to share that actually taste good? Was thinking along the lines of some sort of English biscuit. In America, these are soft cookies? This is more of a British thing, I think. We're also supposed to wear tea hats (?). I'm going to wear one of my gag-gifts from my husband. It's an old 50s style hat with a feather.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I've had a hard time finding a good scone recipe so I will be watchign this topic.

I was going to suggest perhaps you could make something that is mostly naturally gluten-free anyway--like mini cheesecake bites or mini custards (or flan?) or mini quiches. With those types of things you only have to worry about a gluten-free crust and if the main part of it is good people won't even notice the crust part is gluten-free. gluten-free crusts seem to be easier to make too. For mini cheesecake crusts I would use Pamela's ginger snaps if you have access to them--the bag has a crust recipe right on it. But a good crust can also be made with dates, buckwheat flour, brown sugar and butter.

CarolinaKip Community Regular
Open Original Shared Link
Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

You know, I never go to these things because I know whatever I take is all I'll be able to eat. Half the fun of it is sampling what everyone else brings.

But, I've decided to try it this time and only eat what I end up taking along with the tea. The only problem is I have no idea what to bake.

Does anybody have ideas and/or recipes you'd like to share that actually taste good? Was thinking along the lines of some sort of English biscuit. In America, these are soft cookies? This is more of a British thing, I think. We're also supposed to wear tea hats (?). I'm going to wear one of my gag-gifts from my husband. It's an old 50s style hat with a feather.

I also have the same problem when I take gluten-free food to dinner parties. It's a challenge because I also like to sample what others bring. OK, OK, frankly, I just like to eat! :)

Well, one thought, you could scale down some recipes of things you normally don't eat and take a few items so you have more variety.

One idea: Cut a hothouse cucumber into thin rounds, pipe a swirl of whipped cream cheese (or softened Laughing Cow cheese wedges - there's an herb flavor) with a star tip on top & garnish with a sliver of smoked salmon & dill sprig or something green.

Second idea: Deviled eggs with a touch of curry (if you like curry). Pipe yolk mixture into egg white (cut a bit of the curved side of the egg white so it sits flat on the plate) with a huge star tip & garnish with a green/red herb or parsley or a bit of shredded lettuce. Can cut the egg white into quarters (instead of the normal halves) so it's a dainty portion.

Third idea: Curried (or not) chicken or turkey salad with halved green or red grapes on gluten-free rice cracker. Garnish with a dab of chutney or grape half.

Fourth idea: Dip marshmallow/gluten-free cookie or pretzel in melted semi-sweet chocolate chips, roll in chopped nuts/sprinkles/multi-colored shots/chocolate jimmies & allow to set. Or drizzle white chocolate ontop in a zig-zag pattern. (scoop the melted white chocolate in a small sandwich bag and snip off a tiny bit of a corner so you can create a thin stream of white chocolate.) Nestle a few in cupcake liners to dress it up.

Fifth idea: Chocolate covered strawberries are always a big hit.

I think English biscuit = American cookie. Hat sounds cute! Any 50s jewelry or gloves?

freeatlast Collaborator

Such lovely ideas! THANK YOU everyone. 50s jewelry would be nice, too. I'll wear my beautiful pin. Hadn't thought about that :)Wow. I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Archived