alihawk

Confused About Blood Work

Rate this topic

Hello I know this is probably getting old so many people posting about their blood work results but I'm gonna do it anyway cause I am confused

IgE = 257 normal (0-130)

Immunoglobulin A (IgA) 227 normal 61-356

Wheat, IgE .37 no normal range given

Gluten IgE .35 no normal range given

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA 1.2 normal <4.0

IgG gliadin AB 36 = strong positive

It seems that most everything is negative with the exception of IgE and IgG but not sure if this is suggestive of celiac or not since everything else is negative. Anyone know does this suggest Celiac? Did I get all the appropriate blood test done or is something missing?

Any feedback is appreciated

Alison

If you are having a biopsy done do wait until that is done before you go gluten free. Be aware that false negatives are not uncommon with blood or biopsy. So you will need to do the diet even if the biopsy is negative. You don't need to wait for the biopsy results, if you are having one. When you are done with testing for celiac do go strictly gluten free.

Thanks for the response but the next test is skin tesing and then a nutionist wants me to do the LEAP allergy blood test anyone have experience or results with LEAP? The allergy doc I went to did even seem interested in me being in her office as she never looked me in the eye and then said what are you doing here celiac disease is a gi problem! Wouldn't it be helpful to be diagnosed first! It is hard to find a good doctor.

Thanks for the response but the next test is skin tesing and then a nutionist wants me to do the LEAP allergy blood test anyone have experience or results with LEAP? The allergy doc I went to did even seem interested in me being in her office as she never looked me in the eye and then said what are you doing here celiac disease is a gi problem! Wouldn't it be helpful to be diagnosed first! It is hard to find a good doctor.

You have had postive celiac tests but that doesn't mean you are going to show up in allergy testing as celiac is not an allergy. Celiac is an autoimmune disease not an allergy. It is usually a GI doctor that diagnoses celiac which is why I mentioned the biopsy which is done with an endoscopic exam of the small intestine. However that biopsy can be a false negative.

Was it your GP that ordered the celiac panel? If it was and he referred you to an allergist for confirmation he likely doesn't know much about celiac.

I am not familiar at all with LEAP testing but if it is to detect allergies keep in mind that celiac is not an allergy although there are some celiacs who are also allergic to wheat or another gluten item.

Thanks for the response but the next test is skin tesing and then a nutionist wants me to do the LEAP allergy blood test anyone have experience or results with LEAP?

I have been trying to find info on LEAP testing and all that I could find was by practioners that do the testing and an article in Quackwatch. There was nothing I could find on the NIH website or that came up with a .org address so do make sure you do research on this before you spend out of pocket for the testing.

As I said I don't know anything about these tests so perhaps someone that is more familiar with them will have some info.

Do not expect them to diagnose celiac though because celiac is not an allergy.

Hi have been thinking so please tell me if this is a correct train of thought.

It seems that the Iga the wheat, gluten and tTg test for intestinal villi (tissue) damage. From what I have been reading the gliadin IgG AB (which was positive for me) is telling me that my body is making antibodies to gliadin which is a protein of gluten. So my body is having a immunologic reaction to gliadin without tissue destruction to the small bowel villi. I am correct in my thinking here? So I have a sensitivity, intolerance to gliadin but not am not officially celiac?

Again many thanks for your help

Alison

Hi have been thinking so please tell me if this is a correct train of thought.

It seems that the Iga the wheat, gluten and tTg test for intestinal villi (tissue) damage. From what I have been reading the gliadin IgG AB (which was positive for me) is telling me that my body is making antibodies to gliadin which is a protein of gluten. So my body is having a immunologic reaction to gliadin without tissue destruction to the small bowel villi. I am correct in my thinking here? So I have a sensitivity, intolerance to gliadin but not am not officially celiac?

Again many thanks for your help

Alison

People can be full blown celiac and close to death and still have a false negative on testing. It doesn't matter what label you put on it you still have to be just as strict with the diet and both can do just as much damage to your organs.

I see a lot of people mentioning total IgA my blood work says

Immunoglobulin A (IgA) with normal values at 61-356 mg/dl is this a total IgA since it doesn't say total

Alison, you are on the right track.

But there are many celiacs who only had the antigliadin test positive, and a negative ttg test.

In the old days, they did not have the ttg test yet, they only had the antigliadin test and the EMA test.

Then when they invented the ttg test, the people promoting it said the old antigliadin test is unreliable and the ttg test was perfect.

Now when they invented the deaminated gliadin test which is the new standard test, they publishes lots of articles about the ttg test being so unreliable.

I ahve seen postings where people had a positive antigliadin test, a negative ttg test, and a positive deaminated gliadin test, so you lack the deaminated gliadin test, it is the new standard. They cwitched to that one here three years ago already and dumped the ttg test.

By the way, the IgE test is only to check the general level of IgE, and has nothing to do with celiac.

Likewise with the IgA test, it is to check if you make enough IgA so the IgA type tests are valid. (otherwise they run the IgG version of those tests)

First thank you everyone for all you help and input thus far. I did just think of something and not sure if this would affect blood results or not. I DO NOT have a large intestine it was completely removed in 2003. From my limited knowledge of celiac it seems that all the damage is to the small bowel but what about the anitbodies the blood test check for would they be skewed since I do not have a large bowel?

Again many thanks for you thoughts.

Alison

Alison, you are on the right track.

But there are many celiacs who only had the antigliadin test positive, and a negative ttg test.

In the old days, they did not have the ttg test yet, they only had the antigliadin test and the EMA test.

Then when they invented the ttg test, the people promoting it said the old antigliadin test is unreliable and the ttg test was perfect.

Now when they invented the deaminated gliadin test which is the new standard test, they publishes lots of articles about the ttg test being so unreliable.

I ahve seen postings where people had a positive antigliadin test, a negative ttg test, and a positive deaminated gliadin test, so you lack the deaminated gliadin test, it is the new standard. They cwitched to that one here three years ago already and dumped the ttg test.

By the way, the IgE test is only to check the general level of IgE, and has nothing to do with celiac.

Likewise with the IgA test, it is to check if you make enough IgA so the IgA type tests are valid. (otherwise they run the IgG version of those tests)

so does this mean that the ttg test IS unreliable? Thanks