shanol

Scope/biopsy Next Week - Been On And Off Gluten

Rate this topic

I've been limiting my gluten intake for about a month, since my brother was diagnosed, but when I was at my GP this week, he told me to resume a normal diet until my scope/biopsy, and not to schedule it "too soon" because of the possible impact on the results.

So I've resumed my normal diet as of a week ago, having at least 2-3 servings of gluten containing foods per day. I feel awful. Bloated, indigestion, irregular, etc, but I'm really worried that the results will be inaccurate because of my very low gluten month.

Is there really a good chance that eating mainly gluten-free for a month has healed me to the point where a biopsy be conclusive?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I feel so awful when I'm eating gluten (despite my almost unnatural LOVE for baked goods!) that I don't want to mess up my disgnosis. However, the idea of feeling like this for another month or more while I do more damage just to get an accurate diagnosis seems absurd.

I only have 1.5 hours to reschedule later than next week ... I'm so mixed up right now.

In conclusion:

Symptomatic for years.

Mom and brother both have positive biopsy results.

Mainly gluten-free for 4 weeks (2-3 servings of bread in those weeks, followed by severe reactions)

Back on gluten for 2 weeks at time of biospy.

Should I reschedule for further away?

can you make it to where you eat gluten for 3 weeks straight? That might help your diagnosis.

I was told I needed to have gluten for minimum 6-8 weeks prior to the biopsy. I think that if you really want to have the biopsy, I would want to be certain that it will show the right result. But I also know how horrible it feels to have to eat gluten for so long...

My family doctor just said to go back on it, and not schedule the biopsy "too soon" - I kick myself for not clarifying with him what that meant!

I just recheduled it for a week later, so I'll have been back on a "full" gluten diet for 3.5 weeks, and did have obvious gluten about once a week in the four weeks before that, and a very regular diet for 36 years before that!

With how miserable I am feeling right now, I can't help but believe that there will be enough evidence to make an accurate diagnosis.

I also can't believe that I used to just feel like this all of the time ... how did I ever think this was normal? (can you hear my stomach from where you are???)

Hello, and welcome.

Well, you probably didn't feel QUITE this miserable all the time. We always feel worse after being off gluten and then going back on it, because the antibodies have gone off duty in the absence of gluten and are really ticked off at being called back from vacation to renew the war :D So they kick up one heckuva fuss!! One reason to get tested before going gluten free :)

Doctors tend to be a bit unclear on the concept of how long a reglutening takes. Ranges vary from a week, to three weeks, a month... From everything I have read the recommended time is a minimum of two months (3 is better) at the gluten equivalent of 3 -4 slices of bread a day. You see, fortunately for us, the body is an amazing machine and begins the healing process as soon as the gluten is withdrawn. Some people heal more quickly than others, some people have been damaged more than others (with the scope damage revealing a range from totally blunted villi, to some flattening, to merely inflammation), so in order to be sure of getting an accurate result the longer timeframe of 2-3 months is recommended. Now, with that said, many people cannot make it through the full challenge - it is just too painful. However, the severity of the symptoms does not always correlate with the degree of damage, and some people never test positive on either blood work or biopsy, so when you get right down to it, the whole thing is a bit of a crapshoot. But the doctors DO like their scientific evidence as "proof" :D