fughawzi

Italy, Paris, & London With Additional Food Allergies

Rate this topic

I'm going on a trip to Rome, Florence, Milan, Paris, and London and was wondering if there were any suggestions? In addition to being a seriously sensitive celiac, I'm also allergic to rice, dairy, soy, apricots, bananas, almonds, chocolate, coffee, sweet potatoes, pineapples, shellfish, and turkey. I'm especially worried about the rice allergy since I passed out the last time I had it (I will have my epi-pens). Am I pretty much banned from all of the gluten free products in Italy? Will I be able to eat out at all or are most of the gluten free restaurant items filled with rice and dairy? I'll be staying in places where I can cook everywhere but Rome (three days without a stove). Any suggestions would be most welcome, even if it's just how to explain an anaphylactic allergy.

Hi, I have been over to Europe each of the last three years and when I ordered gluten-free food in Italy I ended up with salad and meat so I decided that eating in MacDonald's was way easier and their salads in Italy are wonderful with cherry tomatoes lots of different types of salad and parmesan an cheese. If you choose grilled Chicken check that it is still gluten-free. I am going back to Italy this Sept / October. Switzerland is an easy country as most of their National sausages are gluten-free and they are pre cooked and therefore can be kept in your day pack for snacking on. It is not easy travelling gluten-free that is for sure and especially with all the foods you can not eat.

Good luck as you will need it.

Can you have gluten-free corn or veg pasta? There are several spots in Rome that serve gluten-free pastas, actually. Italy is one of the top countries on the planet for knowledge on gluten-free. Unfortunately I am unsure re your additional food allergies. Travel can be tricky with celiac and other challenges. I would definitely take lots of gluten-free snacks along for airports, flights, etc.

Rome has wonderful grilled lamb and fish so those may be options. Polenta (depending on how it is prepared, of course) may be another.

What time of year do you go? There are so many awesome seasonal products in those places, especially Italy. I would definitely go to the markets for fresh produce.

Really watch out for the nuts in Paris. I traveled there with a colleague many years ago who was severely allergic to nuts. He learned to ask for no nuts, but people didn't really get it. Maybe times have changed, I hope so. He had a bad reaction after dinner one night and it was terrifying! Get one of those cards in several languages explaining the importance of accommodating your allergies!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm leaving in two weeks so I'll definitely be spending lots of time in farmer's markets admiring the lovely produce.

I'll be on the look out for corn pasta! I actually love polenta as well so that'll be a good option. I'm glad that some restaurants use corn instead of rice, at least. Do I just need to call and check what sort of pasta they use? Are there any places I can get sorbetto without gluten, soy, or dairy in Rome?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm leaving in two weeks so I'll definitely be spending lots of time in farmer's markets admiring the lovely produce.

I'll be on the look out for corn pasta! I actually love polenta as well so that'll be a good option. I'm glad that some restaurants use corn instead of rice, at least. Do I just need to call and check what sort of pasta they use? Are there any places I can get sorbetto without gluten, soy, or dairy in Rome?

Polena is delicious, isn't it? Maybe you can get some with sauteed mushrooms or grilled with tomato sauce.

You can definitely call to see what pastas they use in Rome. I may even have a few places saved in my file - will check. As for sorbetto I am unsure of places that do not contain dairy as I can have dairy (thus far) so have not checked for that specifically. I always hand over my restaurant card, even for gelato. I was told in Venice a couple of weeks ago that I could not have any of their gelato but was offered the granita instead (the owner actually showed me the list of ingredients, etc.). If you do get something like that make sure to request that they carefully clean the scoop and only scoop from the back that has not been touched yet (to prevent cross contamination).

I am "only" Celiac, but I used the following information on my trip with no incidents.

Blue Star Italia Tours gluten-free tours, menus http://www.bluestaritalia.com/tours_uk.asp?IdSottogruppo=37

Celiac Travel gluten-free travel card (printable) http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/21-italian.html

http://www.celiachandbook.com/italy.html

http://www.celiacchicks.com/2008/05/gluten-free-ita.html

There is a great restaurant in Rome where we ate 2x, but I will have to go find the name. It was a pizzeria I think SW of most of the attractions.

I'm going on a trip to Rome, Florence, Milan, Paris, and London and was wondering if there were any suggestions? In addition to being a seriously sensitive celiac, I'm also allergic to rice, dairy, soy, apricots, bananas, almonds, chocolate, coffee, sweet potatoes, pineapples, shellfish, and turkey. I'm especially worried about the rice allergy since I passed out the last time I had it (I will have my epi-pens). Am I pretty much banned from all of the gluten free products in Italy? Will I be able to eat out at all or are most of the gluten free restaurant items filled with rice and dairy? I'll be staying in places where I can cook everywhere but Rome (three days without a stove). Any suggestions would be most welcome, even if it's just how to explain an anaphylactic allergy.

Take a look at this: http://www.gfguidefrance.com/