mybellemichelle

Celiac Testing And Insurance

Rate this topic

I'm new to this celiac and gluten free stuff. Last week, a nurse practitioner suggested that I could have celiac and that we should check into testing. I have United Healthcare insurance (through my dad). Does anyone have United or know if they cover celiac testing; I read on a few threads here that celiac is an automatic coverage denial with United (which is totally bogus), so I don't know where they would stand on testing.

I'm new to this celiac and gluten free stuff. Last week, a nurse practitioner suggested that I could have celiac and that we should check into testing. I have United Healthcare insurance (through my dad). Does anyone have United or know if they cover celiac testing; I read on a few threads here that celiac is an automatic coverage denial with United (which is totally bogus), so I don't know where they would stand on testing.

My daughter has United Healthcare through my son-in-law's job and they did cover her celiac panel in Aug. 2010. How much I don't know as she obviously had to cover the co-pay. I'd definitely check to make sure the plan your dad has would cover that as I really don't know how group insurance works...coverage might vary from employer to employer. She did not go on to get the endoscopy/biopsy but went gluten-free after her testing knowing that I was already diagnosed.

I have United & they paid for the blood work and the endo & colonscopy. I had to pay my deductable/co-pay. This differs by your actual coverage. You have to go to the approved docs and use the approved lab. The doc office has to give them the right codes (reasons for the tests). They also paid for my boys to have the blood work based on family history of a genetic disease.

I think the blood work (we did not do genetic - that they may not pay for) was less than $300 per person. I'll see if I kept that in folder and tell you later if I have it.

OK...cost..

One set was $190 & one $335. The first was $335 & he ran a "celiac panel" plus the ones I gave him from The Celiac Center at U of Chicago. The second, cheaper one, had a lot less extra bill padding test. He just ordered the ones by name from the Celiac center. I think the labs run alot of nonsense to make a bigger charge. The ones for my kids, he wrote out the ones he wanted & they only did them (3 or 4). Couldn't find those old bills