suziq0805

? On Genetic Test Results

Rate this topic

I posted this in another area but thought I'd post it here also. Yesterday we found out that my son has 2 copies of the DQ8 gene. So I believe that means my husband and I each have at least a DQ8 gene. So then that would mean 1 of my parents has the gene and 1 of my 4 grandparents carries the gene. Is that correct? One of my grandmas has experienced a number of symptoms...diarrhea (which she claims is managed on meds), lactose intolerance, depression that hasn't been well-managed, weight loss at times and possible osteoperosis. I wonder if she could have the gene and have celiac but never knew.

I posted this in another area but thought I'd post it here also. Yesterday we found out that my son has 2 copies of the DQ8 gene. So I believe that means my husband and I each have at least a DQ8 gene. So then that would mean 1 of my parents has the gene and 1 of my 4 grandparents carries the gene. Is that correct?

Not quite. You have no way of knowing how many DQ8 genes are in your family. Both your parents and all of your grandparents could have any number of DQ8 genes. All you can say for sure is that at least one of your grandparents and at least one of your parents has at least one copy of DQ8. Boy, that's a lot of "at leasts". :lol:

So yes, your grandmother's trouble could have been celiac or gluten intolerance.