gluteneggfree

Gluten Egg Dairy Yeast Free Bread Or Cake Needed

Rate this topic

hi, just new to gluten freee and hoping that i can not spend a fortune on crackers from the shop that meet the requirements above ( no gluten, dairy, egg or yeast and preferably no soy or lots of nuts).. i am hoping for some kind of viable very plain baking product recipe , (cracker, bs or bp bread ) to make so i can afford this/!!!.. a buckwheatg flour one would be good, i dont think i can do things like vinegar or potato,starch, tapioca or arrowroot.. goodness there are so many limitation... but buckwheat esp i would like to use flour wise and can do rice and bit of corn

i have multiple chem sensitivities and so this is important.. and i really hope you could set me up,, as i said plain is best, nothing fancy but i have come here as little time and figured someone here wwould have an idea of a recipe to enable this baking...!! thankyou for guiding this total novice,thankyou for helping...regards, glutenegglesss

Have you tried using the google search in the top right corner to search this site? I bet we have had recipes like this before.

This just occurred to me that this is basically vegan cooking. There are websites for vegan baking.

This just occurred to me because I had a vegan carrot cake this weekend & was wishing I had a piece now. We have a bakery here that is gluten-free & vegan. Somethings work well, some not so good.

Sorry don't have a specific recipe but Besan flour(chickpea) can be used to make flatbreads. if you google indain recipes you can probably find some. I'll bet you can lighten it up with a little rice flour and use more oil and omit the egg.

ANyone try anything like this?

This should work, with substitutions, for a buckwheat based flatbread or pancake:

Buckwheat Pan- Flatcake serves 1~

1 heaping tablespoon of ground up toasted buckwheat (kasha) kernels (use coffeegrinder or kitchen mortar. can also use gluten-free buckwheat flour. kasha tastes better)

1 heaping tablespoon of gluten free chickpea (garbanzo) flour

1 heaping tablespoon of potato starch, OR other starchy gluten free flour, such as cornstarch

pinch of cream of tartar

pinch of salt

good sized pinch (about a quarter teasp.) of baking soda

spice to taste, optional. (cumin, cinnamon, cloves, curry, anise seed, caraway, grated orange peel - can be very versatile)

sweetener to taste, optional. I use a tiny glop of molasses and agave

pure apple cider vinegar, about a half teaspoon. (Other acidic liquid could be used, such as lemon or lime juice. May have to increase amount. The vinegar or juice reacts with the soda to leaven the pancake, plus it makes the buckwheat more "sticky" so it doesn't need egg or gum)

olive oil, about a teaspoon

water, small amount

olive oil (or other) for frying in skillet. preheat oil in pan, carefully.

In a bowl, put the oil, vinegar or lemon juice, agave/molasses if using, and a tablespoon or two of water, and mix. Add the buckwheat first, and stir to soften, while you are measuring out the other ingredients. Then add them. Add enough water to make a thick pancake consistency, and stir well til blended. Pour batter into heated oiled pan. Cook until bottom is done, edges are drying, and bubbles are coming up thru, then flip and finish cooking.

The beauty of this is that, depending on how it is flavored and sweetened, or not, it can be used as a sandwich bread when cut in half, or as a pancake base, as gluten-free nan with Indian curry, or topped with anything. One of these topped with sliced banana is very filling for breakfast, for example. You could also add additional protein, such as a dairy free cheese or some nut butter. Hummus dip would also be good, as well as a bean/meat chile.

I put one that was already cooked recently in the microwave to reheat, and accidentally hit the wrong amount of time, and it turned very, very hard and crisp. Maybe less time would make it more crispy without making it rock - like. I really had no idea I could turn a pancake into a dog biscuit like that. :rolleyes: