Rate this topic

My toddler has been having diarhea since november of last year. He was born early and has had lots of developmental issues. He went through several rounds of testing for his D including a celiacs blood test that came back negative. We have an appointment with a ped gi but he has started refusing to eat and is losing weight. His cousin has been diagnosed with celiacs and we think my husband's father had it but was undiagnosed. my baby is crying because he is hungry but i can't get him to eat more than a very few bites and his pediasure. Now he is starting to refuse that. Could this still be celiacs even though his blood test was negative?

I appreciate your help!

Blood tests are known to commonly be negative falsely, especially in young children. So, yes, it could be celiac disease.

Blood tests are known to commonly be negative falsely, especially in young children. So, yes, it could be celiac disease.

our 2 yr old is having the same issues..and we were told it was tummy bug, which we dont buy, the blood tests might say negative but her dad's gi says it sounds like celiac

our dietician gave us some useful ideas to help her eat

firstly she said if there is only 1 thing she will eat just give it to her, the most important thing is she eats, bad eating habits can be corrected later

secondly she told us to make popsicles, we puree fruit and veg and pour it in first, then top up the containers with soy or coconut milk. on bad days she will always eat a popsicle!!!

thank you! that is brilliant!

also try smoothies, you can sneak in veggies, and even a bit of coconut oil, or tahini for extra calories, as long as there is a fruit they don't notice anything else!!

A friend of mines son who's just 3 was diagnosed a while ago with toddler diahorrea but I don't know anything about it. Maybe have a search?

toddlers diahrrea isually us caused by too much juice or fruit, we were told that was what my daughter had...she never drinks juice!!

docs use the term toddlers diahrea with kids the same way they use IBS with adults

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

So how soon can we see improvement after starting the gluten-free diet?