This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Diet - How Long Until I Notice A Difference?

NutmegCT

NutmegCT Newbie

Good day all. First post

My father and brother have celiac; my blood tests have been negative. I haven't had a biopsy, but for 30+ years I've had most of the celiac symptoms.

I'd like to try a gluten free diet for a while and see if I have any improvement in symptoms.

Once I go "gluten free", how long should I expect to go until I notice changes (improvements?) in my symptoms?

Thanks.

Tom in CT

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

speedy2056 Apprentice

Everybody varies. Mine altered within a day. For some, it can take a few days, a week, 3 weeks or even a couple of months. You won't know until you try.

Hawthorn Rookie

I agree with what speedy says. Also be prepared to feel a little worse in the first week or two. When I initially ditched gluten I felt a bit like a wild animal.

navigator Apprentice

My fatigue and brain fog initially got worse but I started to improve after a month. Once I started to improve I felt a bit better every day. My daughter, who was diagnosed 2 years before me, started to feel better after a fortnight.

NutmegCT Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea how long I might need to "wait" to see any possible changes.

I tried a wheat free diet a few years ago and felt some improvement after a month or two. That was before I knew what "gluten free" actually meant.

Interesting that after the wheat free diet (I learned to love potatoes!), my grass pollen allergy completely disappeared. Wheat is a grass, so I guess that explains the unexpected benefit.

Tom in CT

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

2. - Aussienae replied to Aussienae's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Constant low back, abdominal and pelvic pain!

3. - trents replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

4. - trents replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

5. - mishyj replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

SoCalSuzy
    Newest Member
    SoCalSuzy
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Bayb
      Hi Scott, yes I have had symptoms for years and this is the second GI I have seen and he could not believe I have never been tested. He called later today and I am scheduled for an endoscopy. Is there a way to tell how severe my potential celiac is from the results above? What are the chances I will have the biopsy and come back negative and we have to keep searching for a cause? 
    • Aussienae
      I agree christina, there is definitely many contributing factors! I have the pain today, my pelvis, hips and thighs ache! No idea why. But i have been sitting at work for 3 days so im thinking its my back. This disease is very mysterious (and frustrating) but not always to blame for every pain. 
    • trents
      "her stool study showed she had extreme reactions to everything achievement on it long course of microbials to treat that." The wording of this part of the sentence does not make any sense at all. I don't mean to insult you, but is English your first language? This part of the sentence sounds like it was generated by translation software.
    • trents
      What kind of stool test was done? Can you be more specific? 
    • mishyj
      Perhaps I should also have said that in addition to showing a very high response to gluten, her stool study showed that she had extreme reactions to everything achievement on it long course of microbials to treat that.