NutmegCT

gluten-free Diet - How Long Until I Notice A Difference?

Rate this topic

Good day all. First post

My father and brother have celiac; my blood tests have been negative. I haven't had a biopsy, but for 30+ years I've had most of the celiac symptoms.

I'd like to try a gluten free diet for a while and see if I have any improvement in symptoms.

Once I go "gluten free", how long should I expect to go until I notice changes (improvements?) in my symptoms?

Thanks.

Tom in CT

Everybody varies. Mine altered within a day. For some, it can take a few days, a week, 3 weeks or even a couple of months. You won't know until you try.

I agree with what speedy says. Also be prepared to feel a little worse in the first week or two. When I initially ditched gluten I felt a bit like a wild animal.

My fatigue and brain fog initially got worse but I started to improve after a month. Once I started to improve I felt a bit better every day. My daughter, who was diagnosed 2 years before me, started to feel better after a fortnight.

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea how long I might need to "wait" to see any possible changes.

I tried a wheat free diet a few years ago and felt some improvement after a month or two. That was before I knew what "gluten free" actually meant.

Interesting that after the wheat free diet (I learned to love potatoes!), my grass pollen allergy completely disappeared. Wheat is a grass, so I guess that explains the unexpected benefit.

Tom in CT