Nats mom

Reaction Severity

Rate this topic

Just wondering if everyone has severe reactions to gluten ingestion. My 9 yr old (just going through the diagnosis process) doesn't have severe reactions to eating lots of wheat. She can eat a plate of pasta, or pizza, or a few slices of bread, etc. and just gets a sore tummy sometimes. Yesterday she ate 5 slices of pizza with no complaints. Will the disease progress? Will she become more sensitive to gluten ingestion after she is placed on a gluten free diet? Just in case you're wondering, her blood levels were over 100 and the testing was done at a trusted laboratory, so the doctor is expecting that the endoscopy will confirm her diagnosis.

Hi Nats mom,

Everyone has a different sensitivity level. What's scary is that some people don't have a reaction at all, so they cannot tell if they've been accidentally ingesting gluten. But yes, any amount of gluten exposure, even as small as a crumb will keep the disease active and progressing in her system. You may find that she becomes more sensitive after she goes gluten free or that she has another intolerance. Dairy, corn, casein, and soy are some of the most common ones. It's all a big learning experience.

Just wondering if everyone has severe reactions to gluten ingestion. My 9 yr old (just going through the diagnosis process) doesn't have severe reactions to eating lots of wheat. She can eat a plate of pasta, or pizza, or a few slices of bread, etc. and just gets a sore tummy sometimes. Yesterday she ate 5 slices of pizza with no complaints. Will the disease progress? Will she become more sensitive to gluten ingestion after she is placed on a gluten free diet? Just in case you're wondering, her blood levels were over 100 and the testing was done at a trusted laboratory, so the doctor is expecting that the endoscopy will confirm her diagnosis.

My 9yr old daughter had blood levels of 128 and is due a biopsy next week. Her symptoms most of the time appear in the evening. She feels nauseous, headache/migraine, dizzy/faint and general unwellness within herself. Her tummy is constantly bloated and despite being off school for a clearout (constipated) on laxatives she's still soiling.

She sometimes gets the headaches/migraines in the day and sore tummy but mostly evening time. I'm sure her behaviour probs are down to gluten intake too :(

She is also very tall for her age which goes against the usual stort stature thats been said and although of normal weight, she's extremely skinny/boney.

When I went on my three month gluten challenge I did not get sick at all. I actually felt BETTER on gluten! Totally normal BMs, etc. It does scare me because I do not know whether I have been glutened since I have been strictly gluten-free for nearly five months. There was one incident I know I accidentally ingested gluten (the company's nacho chips said gluten-free on the package but thankfully I called to confirm and found out they were indeed no longer gluten-free) but I did not get sick or experience any other glutening symptoms. I have been extremely dilligent but cross contamination and hidden gluten seem to run rampant.