Staceyshoe

Trial Of gluten-free Diet

Rate this topic

My 6 y.o.'s endoscopy came back neg for celiac, but he's having regular stomach aches. (Really no other symptoms of celiac, however.) I'd like to try a gluten-free trial just to see what happens. I need to do it for 6-8 weeks, right? We have a lot of specialty diets in our immediate and extended family, so I'm pretty familiar with gluten-free. I keep hearing conflicting things about oats though. Could he have oats during the trial period or is it better not to? TIA!

I would suggest avoiding oats, at least at first. Some celiacs can tolerate pure oats; a minority can not.

However, and this is big HOWEVER, commercial oats are contaminated with wheat because they are processed in the same harvesters, storage bins, trucks, packaging machines, etc. as wheat. Ninety-nine percent pure isn't good enough.

• Upvote 1

Articles by celiac experts say to eliminate oats at first. Once you have things stable, you can challenge with gluten-free oats and see what happens.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! I'm curious to see what happens during/after this trial.