Rate this topic

My son tested positive for celiac with the blood tests and he has all the symptoms he was so sick that i did cut him back from the gluten a little bit but not alot . We were never much for bread eaters anyway . His biopsy just came back and was negative . he has all the signs though and tested positive with blood tests and he has been feeling better for the 2 weeks he has been off of it? what does this mean?

Hi Jewell, welcome to the forum!

He has Celiac, he had positive tests. As far as the biopsy is concerned, Depending on how many places were biopsied they could have missed the damaged areas (after all there is at least 22 feet of intestine)or his Celiac was caught in time before any damage was done. He needs to be kept gluten free for sure.

• Upvote 2

He has Celiac, he had positive tests. As far as the biopsy is concerned, Depending on how many places were biopsied they could have missed the damaged areas (after all there is at least 22 feet of intestine)or his Celiac was caught in time before any damage was done. He needs to be kept gluten free for sure.

thank you !! I have been so confused why cant he get the diagnosis then? Yhey did say he had gastritis the good news is no chrons . Phew !

PS He is 11 and is only forty pounds !!

Hi JewelZZZ and welcome! Yes, your son has Celiac, and that would probably account for him being underweight. The problem is that some doctors will not officially give out a diagnosis without both a positive biopsy and blood test. But as txplowgirl said, they may have missed the area. And it is possible to have false negatives. But there are no false positives. Your son definitely needs to go on a 100% gluten free diet. So welcome to the board - hope he continues to feel better!

• Upvote 1

Hi JewelZZZ and welcome! Yes, your son has Celiac, and that would probably account for him being underweight. The problem is that some doctors will not officially give out a diagnosis without both a positive biopsy and blood test. But as txplowgirl said, they may have missed the area. And it is possible to have false negatives. But there are no false positives. Your son definitely needs to go on a 100% gluten free diet. So welcome to the board - hope he continues to feel better!

Thank you so much i really feel better . If it is not celiac then what could it be ? I have been so perplexed and confused about all of this . I am very happey to find this forum. Thank you again !!

I have heard of cases with bacteria overgrowth where the biopsy was falsely positive for celiac and the blood test was negative, but symptoms and blood test positive and biopsy negative just means that they missed the area, switched samples or someone misread the biopsy.

Many have gotten ahold of the biopsy report, and it did say blunted villi or increased IEL