freeatlast

Coffee Cake With Spicy Topping

Rate this topic

It looks like the cinnamon is it. I bet you could add some more spices though like a tad of cloves, ginger and possibly nutmeg.

Actually it sounds rather good...as if I need those calories! :P

It looks like the cinnamon is it. I bet you could add some more spices though like a tad of cloves, ginger and possibly nutmeg.

Actually it sounds rather good...as if I need those calories! :P

Yes, I know :) Actually, it appealed to me because it's smaller than the other coffeecake recipes I've found. I'm the only one who ever eats my gluten-free desserts around here and I'm bad to keep after something, if you know what I mean.

The only possibility is cinnamon. The recipe name is quite misleading! I've made Spicy Chili Chocolate Brownies and Black Pepper Shortbread and they had a wonderful kick but cinnamon is technically not spicy but a warm spice. If you do decide to go the nutmeg route I would recommend buying them whle and grating. SO superior to powdered! They are very cheap, too. Fresh allspice is lovely.

This is a straightforward basic recipe. Hope it turns out well for you! I would personally make a browned butter buttercream with toasted nuts to go on top for some contrast. But then I LOVE buttercream a little too much! :lol:

Is there any way to make buttercream CF? I've heard Earth's Balance is horrible.

Is there any way to make buttercream CF? I've heard Earth's Balance is horrible.

I've never tried Earth's Balance but don't want to! :P Do you clarify your butter to skim off the milk solids?

Unfortunately butter is the main reason why buttercream is just so darned good. Whipping the butter just cannot be replicated (although as I said I have not tried EB so who knows??).

Perhaps this would be an ok substitute. The following recipe is Gluten-free Casein-free but does contain EB but only 1/4 cup:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7564/gluten-free-casein-free-buttercream-icing-Gluten-free Casein-free

No, I've been scared to try. Knowing people still react to soybean oil even though there's no soy protein in it seems like the same situation as ghee vs. dairy protein, but the soy version. I am dairy intolerant and mildly allergic to dairy too. So, just haven't tried yet for fear being only two months in with no short-term symptoms. Worry that I will love it, use it, yet damaging myself at the same time.

The only possibility is cinnamon. The recipe name is quite misleading! I've made Spicy Chili Chocolate Brownies and Black Pepper Shortbread and they had a wonderful kick but cinnamon is technically not spicy but a warm spice. If you do decide to go the nutmeg route I would recommend buying them whle and grating. SO superior to powdered! They are very cheap, too. Fresh allspice is lovely.

This is a straightforward basic recipe. Hope it turns out well for you! I would personally make a browned butter buttercream with toasted nuts to go on top for some contrast. But then I LOVE buttercream a little too much! :lol:

Well, we're in luck :) Burnt butter icing is the only from scratch icing that I can make really well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, we're in luck :) Burnt butter icing is the only from scratch icing that I can make really well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great! I think I read that you made some recently. Love it. It would go well with something cinnamon-y. Heck - it would go well with everything except perhaps steamed Brussels sprouts! :P

Here's another coffee cake recipe that I found. Looks really good, too:

from: http://cookingglutenfree.com/2010/11/sour-cream-coffee-cake/

Hate to say this but this recipe intrigues me more than the previous one. I guess I just like the texture that sour cream adds. This one looks more interesting and substantial. I'm hungry again, darn it!

I have actually made a faux "buttercream" with light olive oil. It gives it the ability to spread easier and the taste is pretty good. To cover one double layer 9" cake I use about 4 tbs of light olive oil, about a cup of confectioner's sugar, a splash of water to ease stirring and give it the right consistancy, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and then you use about a 1/2 c of whatever flavor you are doing (We often use cocoa powder, sometimes peanut butter or both.)

I have actually made a faux "buttercream" with light olive oil. It gives it the ability to spread easier and the taste is pretty good. To cover one double layer 9" cake I use about 4 tbs of light olive oil, about a cup of confectioner's sugar, a splash of water to ease stirring and give it the right consistancy, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and then you use about a 1/2 c of whatever flavor you are doing (We often use cocoa powder, sometimes peanut butter or both.)

By light, do you just mean extra virgin? I wonder if coconut oil might be nice.

Hate to say this but this recipe intrigues me more than the previous one. I guess I just like the texture that sour cream adds. This one looks more interesting and substantial. I'm hungry again, darn it!

Yes, I thought so, too. I LOVE a LOT of the crumble topping and it looks like this has it on top and in the middle, which I like.

Let me know if you would like my formatted version which I copied and pasted with her notes included on one page.

Thanks. I'm going to try this :)

By light, do you just mean extra virgin? I wonder if coconut oil might be nice.

I have tried it with the extra virgin and it is a bit heavier so I believe that I used a bit less of it. Now I use Extra Light Olive Oil, it says on my bottle that it's good for baking and sauteeing.

I've never tried Earth's Balance but don't want to! :P Do you clarify your butter to skim off the milk solids?

I like Earth Balance and they do make a soy-free version. I bought it right after I went gluten-free but found I could tolerate butter well so for me now, butter is it!

The EB organic is wonderful. The soy free version we use now, not as much. It's much less salty to me too, which makes it not as tasty for us. BUT, I am so thankful for it, as it is the only DF and SF butter sub that I know of.