Rate this topic

A couple of months ago I went gluten-free and after a couple of weeks I felt so much better. I was diagnosed Bipolar a couple of years ago. But after three weeks of feeling good being gluten-free, the anxiety and depression came back. I thought, why bother? And quit. I know, that was so dumb...I have an appointment with my GP and am thinking that I need to ask if he will order blood work to screen for Celiac. I don't know if he will, becuase I do NOT look like the typical Celiac. I'm quite overweight. I understand that a lot of people are overweight and Celiac, but I doubt he will be thinking this.

Anyway, my questions are, what kind of blood tests are done? Does insurance usually cover these tests? If not, how expensive are the tests? Thanks so much for your help.

I had another thought: Can/Will a general practitioner order the blood tests?

Yes, a GP can order the blood tests...just make sure the complete panel is ordered. The info at the U of Chicago Celiac Disease Center is really helpful. Fact sheets here.

I haven't been on their website for awhile and I see they have a new downloadable e-book available.