This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Safe Companies/ingredients

anodyne

anodyne Newbie

I am so very new at this gluten-free thing. I go to read a label and its got a bazillion chemicals/things in it that I havent got a clue whether its gluten-free or not.

Is there a place I can go, or here in this thread to find a list of safe companies for foods/cosmetics/health care products etc so that this all wont be so over-whelming for me? Please!

As to the ingredients, I've been reading many of the posts in this forum, and while its very helpful, per ingredient -- it's incredibly time consuming to click on EACH INGREDIENT and read what you've written on the subject. At this rate, it seems like I'll be at this forever.

Let me give 2 random examples from my cupboard:

Instant Mashed Potatoes by Valley View:

idaho potato flakes, mono and diglycerides from vegetable oil, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium metabisulfite, citric acid.

Lite Ranch Salad Dressing from Portmann's:

water, soybean oil, sugar maltodextrin, salt, vinegar, modified food startch, buttermilk, egg yolks, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, disodium phospate, spice, garlic, onion, garlic puree, onion puree, xanthan gum, monosodium glutamate, sorbic acid and calcium disodium EDTA, artificial color, disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate, parsley.

Now.. I am guessing the mashed potatoes are ok. The salad dressing looks more suspicious to me. Please give me a lesson ! Which ingredients in either product above would be suspicious to you, or that you KNOW has gluten in them?

So.. I'd like to know 1) Safe Companies to use &/or 2) A fairly easy way or a compiled listing of ingredients that are not safe, or that are suspicious

Thanks in advance! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Here is Kaiti's list of safe companies for you.

If the "modified food starch" is listed on an item not from her list, you should call the company to check the source. It may contain gluten. Also, you might need to look for more natural foods. Instead of Instant mashed potatoes...try making them the "old fashioned way". I always used the instant in the past, but gave them up after my son was dx four years ago. I did love the convenience of those flakes! Don't guess that the potatoes are ok. I called the company for the ones in the red box... I don't remember which one they were, anyway it looked to me that they were gluten free, but when I called, they told me they couldn't guarantee they were gluten free. I hate when they say that.

There is also a safe and forbidden list here at celiac.com.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-09105331129.30

I think this link will take you to the safe and forbidden list. You can take it shopping with you. Good luck. Even with the lists, everyone still needs help!

anodyne Newbie

Jnkmnky,

A thousand thank-you's ! I hadnt found this on the website yet.. thanks for pointing it out.

I know I need to eat more natural foods.. its just that I've still got a pantry full of food to decide what to do with.

I actually have been doing good for 3 days now. My biggest downfall is bread and I havent had any. I hope to go to a healthfood store soon and hopefully that will be a good experience there. I still gotta have my sandwiches, ya know?! lol :rolleyes:

Guest zipy

I'm not a health food nut, I buy the cheap stuff of everything and I hate paying more for something because I can't have gluten, that being said, bar-s hotdogs and their bacon is gluten-free. I don't know if anyone here does coupons, but I do (stay-at-home-mom of 2, I pinch pennies where I can). So here's the link to get coupons for bar-s products:

They go on sale about once every 4 weeks for $1, so you get them for around .60, makes up for the $5.99 bread.

My Dr. also gave me a list that says that Kellogg's Corn Pops are gluten-free, haven't called the company to confirm this, but it'd be nice!

Good luck! Sounds like we're in the same boat!

Erin

Jnkmnky Collaborator

CORN POPS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. They were a few years ago.

Post Fruity pebbles and cocoa pebbles ARE gluten free.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
My Dr. also gave me a list that says that Kellogg's Corn Pops are gluten-free, haven't called the company to confirm this, but it'd be nice

No they are not gluten free. They changed their ingredients some time ago. You have to be careful about what the doctors give you because alot of them are outdated and inaccurate.

• 3 weeks later...
Sophie's mom Newbie

Here is Kaiti's list of safe companies for you. 

If the "modified food starch" is listed on an item not from her list, you should call the company to check the source.  It may contain gluten.  Also, you might need to look for more natural foods.  Instead of Instant mashed potatoes...try making them the "old fashioned way".  I always used the instant in the past, but gave them up after my son was dx four years ago.  I did love the convenience of those flakes!  Don't guess that the potatoes are ok.  I called the company for the ones in the red box...  I don't remember which one they were, anyway it looked to me that they were gluten free, but when I called, they told me they couldn't guarantee they were gluten free.  I hate when they say that.

There is also a safe and forbidden list here at celiac.com. 

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-09105331129.30

I think this link will take you to the safe and forbidden list.  You can take it shopping with you.  Good luck.  Even with the lists, everyone still needs help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I needed, too. :) Good luck anodyne! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived