Maltiriel

6 Months Gluten-Free And Blood Tests Show Good Results... What Now?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in early February and I've been gluten free since then. In late July I had a blood test which included a celiac panel, and the results came back very good. My levels were VERY high in the February tests, and they've dropped down very low; my doctor says she's satisfied with how low they are, so I should keep on doing what I'm doing. I was kind of overwhelmed with the good news, so I didn't really think to ask questions, but I'm going back next month for my yearly check-up so I wondered if there are any follow-up questions I ought to be asking.

For one thing, I was wondering if 6 months is enough time for the damage to my intestines to be healed. In January I had an endoscopy and biopsy and it showed significant damage, so I was wondering if I ought to ask for that to be re-done, or if it's too soon. My doctor said she wants to run the blood tests again in another 6 months, so should I wait until then?

I've never had much in the way of GI symptoms, so I can't really go by those as to how my guts are healing. I was diagnosed due to malabsorption of iron, B-12, and eventually folic acid, and my iron levels have stayed up, although I stopped iron supplements in February on the advice of my gastroenterologist. Does that mean things have healed, or would healing still be ongoing? I'm just not sure what sorts of time-frames I should be expecting from all this.

I was also wondering if there are any other tests I ought to be asking about. I'm 30, if it matters, and I know they ran a CBC 2 years back, which was how my doctor found out about my low iron levels, and they've re-tested periodically along with testing my iron levels. Are there any other vitamins I should be asking about that wouldn't be a part of those blood tests?

Anyway I'd really appreciate your advice and opinions. Thanks for all the wonderful information here; it's been a huge help since I was diagnosed.

Congrats on doing so well at getting those numbers down. It is quite possible that your intestines have healed by now and you are absorbing the way you should be. You could ask that they rerun vitamin and mineral panels to make sure your levels are improving. It isn't too soon to ask your doctor if he wants to rescope. Some will want to but others won't think it needed if your blood tests show your antibodies are within normal levels.

Congrats on doing so well at getting those numbers down. It is quite possible that your intestines have healed by now and you are absorbing the way you should be. You could ask that they rerun vitamin and mineral panels to make sure your levels are improving. It isn't too soon to ask your doctor if he wants to rescope. Some will want to but others won't think it needed if your blood tests show your antibodies are within normal levels.

Thanks so much for the info and reply. I'll talk to my doctor about getting some more tests, then. She already does standard blood tests at my yearly check-up so hopefully adding a few more to make sure everything's ok won't be a problem.