UpbeatPete

Questions About Thyroid Test

Rate this topic

I went gluten-free nearly 4 months ago and haven't felt this good in years. I was able to start running again for the first time in 3 years. In fact, if I were to say my health was a 2 out of 10 last spring, I would say it's a 7 now, which is great!

But Because I know I still have some room for improvement, I had my thyroid tested.

My tests results came back with a TSH of 3.3. My doctor did not seem all too concerned about it, but the more research I do on the matter it appears that anything over 3 should be looked into more closely. My sister was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism too.

I know that many on here suffer from both a Gluten Intolerance and thyroid problems, so what should I do?

I went gluten-free nearly 4 months ago and haven't felt this good in years. In fact, if I were to say my health was a 2 out of 10 last spring, I would say it's a 7 now. Because I know I still have some room for improvement, I had my thyroid tested.

My tests results came back with a TSH of 3.3. My doctor did not seem all too concerned about it, but the more research I do on the matter it appears that anything over 3 should be looked into more closely. My sister was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism too.

I know that many on here suffer from both a Gluten Intolerance and thyroid problems, so what should I do?

What is the range your lab uses???

Have you or your sister been tested for Hashimoto's?

I'm assuming they use the .5 to 5.0. I had just been reading that the ranges used vary from lab to lab and that if you ever have a TSH over 3.0, then you might be headed for hypothyroidism.

I know I haven't been tested for it, I am pretty sure she hasn't either.

Most doctors will not refer you to an endocrinologists if they read the lab test as normal.Your testing is "within range" as your doc would say.

If you have concerns (and insurance) making an appointment with an endocrinologist would be you next step.

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease and is prevalent in people with celiac's

My doctors are fairly receptive to my suggestions, so I guess I'll just ask him to look closer.

I am Hashis and probably Celiac (undergoing testing). My doctors (the GOOD ones) look for a tsh in the 1's -or- whatever makes you feel good. That said, it's hard to judge "good" when you've been miserable!

Get the Hashi antibody test, and test frequently to see if your tsh levels change, and if you hit a recovery wall insist on trying supplementation to see if it helps.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Like I said in another forum, I haven't felt this good in years and am very thankful for that, but I just can't help but to feel there is another level I can reach.