eht

Do I Have Dh?

Rate this topic

I have a strong suspicion that I have DH, any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've had eczema all my life, but drs always told me not to worry because it would go away once I hit late teens. Well, summer before I started college, I had the worst eczema I've ever experienced. It was all over my back, hands, feet, and the typical cycle would be little raised bumps, then liquid oozing out, then extreme dryness, cracking, and flakiness. Of course it would be really unbearably itchy the entire time! I would also always be getting horrible gas, bloating, and runnier poops than normal most of the time .

I realized that what I ate could have something to do with it, so after months of experimenting I figured out my trigger foods were gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy (perhaps corn, I'm not sure yet) Anyways its never been confirmed by my dr and I would like to get it confirmed, just to have it on my record since this is something I'll be having to deal with for the rest of my life, and it'd be nice to get some medication maybe for emergencies or slipups.

A half year ago or so I decided to eat whatever I wanted for 2 days or so and then went in to get my blood tested for Iga and Igg and I thought it would be enough to trigger a response since my eczema kicks in the next day after I eat things I cant. Well I didn't get a response, my Iga was .87 when apparently I needed .9 and my Igg was way below what qualified, I don't remember, it was off by .5

Anyways I figured I probably needed a longer time of going off my diet to get a response. So last week I had a bit of gluten and dairy, like some chocolate bars, chicken strips with ranch, in one day. I got a reaction. Then at the end of that week I decided to go all out and start eating whatever I wanted to get a blood test result that counted. For about 3 days now I have been eating everything...and I've been getting really bad eczema on my hands, feet, and back.

But today it plateaued! I don't remember if this is normal since I've been following my diet for about a year now. I remember my eczema went through episodes of really bad and not so bad but would always be here. Right now the redness and inflammation and pus has gone away but its still here and itchy and dry.

I was planning on eating whatever for this week and then getting a test done after, but my question is, do I have DH? Is it worth it putting myself through this if I might not even have it? Please let me know, thanks!! :)

I have a strong suspicion that I have DH, any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've had eczema all my life, but drs always told me not to worry because it would go away once I hit late teens. Well, summer before I started college, I had the worst eczema I've ever experienced. It was all over my back, hands, feet, and the typical cycle would be little raised bumps, then liquid oozing out, then extreme dryness, cracking, and flakiness. Of course it would be really unbearably itchy the entire time! I would also always be getting horrible gas, bloating, and runnier poops than normal most of the time .

I realized that what I ate could have something to do with it, so after months of experimenting I figured out my trigger foods were gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy (perhaps corn, I'm not sure yet) Anyways its never been confirmed by my dr and I would like to get it confirmed, just to have it on my record since this is something I'll be having to deal with for the rest of my life, and it'd be nice to get some medication maybe for emergencies or slipups.

A half year ago or so I decided to eat whatever I wanted for 2 days or so and then went in to get my blood tested for Iga and Igg and I thought it would be enough to trigger a response since my eczema kicks in the next day after I eat things I cant. Well I didn't get a response, my Iga was .87 when apparently I needed .9 and my Igg was way below what qualified, I don't remember, it was off by .5

Anyways I figured I probably needed a longer time of going off my diet to get a response. So last week I had a bit of gluten and dairy, like some chocolate bars, chicken strips with ranch, in one day. I got a reaction. Then at the end of that week I decided to go all out and start eating whatever I wanted to get a blood test result that counted. For about 3 days now I have been eating everything...and I've been getting really bad eczema on my hands, feet, and back.

But today it plateaued! I don't remember if this is normal since I've been following my diet for about a year now. I remember my eczema went through episodes of really bad and not so bad but would always be here. Right now the redness and inflammation and pus has gone away but its still here and itchy and dry.

I was planning on eating whatever for this week and then getting a test done after, but my question is, do I have DH? Is it worth it putting myself through this if I might not even have it? Please let me know, thanks!! :)

edit: also something worth putting out there: during the past few days on my binge or whatever I've experienced painful gas, bloating, runny poops, etc the usual for me, but this time I've experienced cramps and a different dull pain thats in my intestines. I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or what but I rarely get cramps and pain like that :(

Well, peoples symptoms change over time. However, i wouldn't be so convinced that rash doesn't bubble up again very soon.

If you want to know if it's DH, eat 3 eggs for breakfast, go out and eat sushi, drink a ton of milk, eat potato skins and see what happens. DH flares in the presence of iodine and those are all high-iodine foods.

Then, immediately remove all high iodine foods and gluten (iodized salt, sea salt, iodine supplements included) and see if the rash goes away quickly.

There are other skin conditions associated with gluten...even if it isn't DH it may be a gluten sensitive eczema. the fact that it flares after eating gluten and your gastrointestinal symtoms seem significant.

PP- You forgot to tell her to douse the potato skins with iodized salt!

You could also try to get a biopsy...of clear skin next to a lesion...for diagnosis...if you aren't convinced by your dietary challenges and responses.