casi198920

Oats And No Symptoms

Rate this topic

I have very few symptoms but have been diagnosed with celiac disease. So far I have avoided oats including certified gluten free oats. If I do not get symptoms how do I know if/when I can start introducing gluten free oats back into my diet?

I have very few symptoms but have been diagnosed with celiac disease. So far I have avoided oats including certified gluten free oats. If I do not get symptoms how do I know if/when I can start introducing gluten free oats back into my diet?

Same situation here. My dietitian and Gastroenterologist told me not to have even certified gluten-free oats for two years post diagnosis. Their reasoning is that they believe it takes our guts two to five years to heal fully and that consuming oats can potentially lengthen that process by irritating the gut. Not sure whether that is 100% accurate or not but they otherwise seem to be very knowledgable about celiac stuff so I am going with their logic for me.

• Upvote 1

I had no symptoms before being diagnosed, and for a while afterwards. I think the symptoms started about a year and a half after I was diagnosed. So now if I ingest gluten, I know within a few hours. I waited about 2 years before trying oats, and I eat them almost everyday and have no reaction.

Weird. I don't have a diagnosis, but had multiple textbook symptoms, went gluten-free on my own. Both quinoa and gluten-free oats turned my insides upside down after going gluten-free. Then soy and dairy. I actually had a doctor willing to diagnose me based on just my history, but I don't have the "real" dx.

I can tolerate dairy again. Maybe I'll try oats again, I love them on fruit crisps.

I had no symptoms before being diagnosed, and for a while afterwards. I think the symptoms started about a year and a half after I was diagnosed. So now if I ingest gluten, I know within a few hours. I waited about 2 years before trying oats, and I eat them almost everyday and have no reaction.

I wonder if this will happen to me further down the road the symptoms starting 1.5 years post diagnosis). I sure hope not. I am super strict (as you are) but there is always that chance! Yuck.

Normal reccomendation is anywhere from 6months too 2 years.

I personally tried at 5months and have done fine with it. :)