lwatsonz

Homemade Yogurt

Rate this topic

I have been working on becoming gluten-free for about 4 weeks now and I seem to be feeling better, but I am wondering if I should make and eat homemade yogurt like I used to. I think I am allergic to yeast.

More than 25 years ago I believed I had a problem with wheat and had myself tested for food allergies. (I'm 52). As best as I can remember they told me I was allergic to wheat, yeast, soy, rye, citrus, coffee, chocolate, pork, and tomatoes. I don't remember being told I was allergic to milk but I don't have the paper with the allergies written on it any more. It was a long time ago, though. Before I started reading about celiac disease and gluten intolerance I was making homemade yogurt with yogourmet yogurt starter and fresh 2% milk and powdered milk, those were the only ingredients and I thought it helped my digestion, but I read somewhere that people with yeast allergy should not eat yogurt, so I'm not sure whether I should eat it or not. Any advice?

Why don't you try it and see if it bothers you?

The worst that can happen is that you can't finish the batch you make because you can't tolerate it.

I used to make yogurt all the time...loved it...but didn't use the powdered milk.

Now though, I am dairy intolerant and every time I try yogurt it proves to be true all over again.

Good luck, I hope you are able to handle your homemade yogurt. It's really good as I recall.

We make it with organic raw whole milk, and use Nancy's yogurt as the starter. It turns out great.

I have problems with cheese and none of us eat uncultured dairy, but so far the yogurt has turned out to be great for all of us. Yogurt is fermented with bacterial cultures, not yeast, and can combat yeast infections. I'm not sure what the risk is as far as a yeast allergy and yogurt, but it's my impression it should be ok.

Of course, YMMV.

I think I was having very strong cravings for dairy foods when I wrote that original post. I still am. I'm still not sure whether I need to be lactose free or casein free, but since the autism kids are casein free, maybe casein affects the brain. My biggest problems are in my brain. I have very bad, I mean very, very bad (I've been in mental hospitals a lot of times) bipolar disorder. I think I've decided to be casein free like the autism kids for now. Maybe soy free too. Almond Breeze milk is good. Earth Balance Soy Free is good. Helman's Canola Oil Mayonaise is good. If I can figure out how to make coconut milk yogurt maybe that will be good.

I think I was having very strong cravings for dairy foods when I wrote that original post. I still am. I'm still not sure whether I need to be lactose free or casein free, but since the autism kids are casein free, maybe casein affects the brain. My biggest problems are in my brain. I have very bad, I mean very, very bad (I've been in mental hospitals a lot of times) bipolar disorder. I think I've decided to be casein free like the autism kids for now. Maybe soy free too. Almond Breeze milk is good. Earth Balance Soy Free is good. Helman's Canola Oil Mayonaise is good. If I can figure out how to make coconut milk yogurt maybe that will be good.

I have tried several time to make coocnut milk yogurt and failed--it doesn't get thick like yogurt, however it will get sour and become keifer which is just as good for your gut as yogurt. I make mine with a coconut milk yogurt made by So Deliscious as a starter. The coconut milk yogurt is very expensive--like $3 for a 6 oz cup so I can't afford to just buy that but once I make a big batch I can use some of that as the starter for the next batch. If you are interesting in tryign to make alternative milk yogurts here is the link where I learned how: http://funkyfoodallergies.blogspot.com/2009/02/allergen-free-yogurt-recipe.html