AmandaD

For The Celiacs Who've Had Celiac For A While

Rate this topic

I'd like to know what kind of follow-up tests you get every year or every few years?

I'm 18 and have had celiac for almost 3 years, every 6 months my pediatric gastrointerologist has me get a ttg blood test just to make sure the numbers are down. about 6 months after i was first diagnosed i got a 2nd biopsy because i was still having troubles but after that i haven't had anything except for a visit to the gastro. and the blood work

I don't show up in blood tests so I don't have them redone but if you do they should be done at about the 6 month mark to see if they have gone down. It is good to have vitamin and mineral panels done periodically when you have your checkups. Bone denisity screening should be done for a baseline and later to see if things have improved gluten-free if osteopenia or osteoporosis is present. I had a biopsy done 5 years after diagnosis to make sure I was fully healed. Others might have that done at 6 months or a year.

I should note I don't see doctors much at all anymore. No insurance and no need as I don't get sick. I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it but if I did start to have issues I would get them checked out.