Mariah

Endoscopy Or Not To Endoscopy

Rate this topic

I have a question concerning the endoscopy for diagnoses. My gastroenterologist did a couple different blood and stool tests about two weeks ago. The only test that came back positive was the one for celiac (Iwant to say out was a tTg test) which level was 6 and mine read 9.3. Family it's pushing for an endoscopy; however, I have a real problem with having to east gluten again before testing. I have lost over 20lbs in the last month, am unable to work or take care of myself or my kids 3-4 days out of the week. I am very weak, dizzy, and have bone/muscle pain everyday. Chronically constipated most of my life and now, suddenly having looser bowls than ever. Not sure what to eat, because most things, even water sometimes causes cramping. Oh yes, and one of the most uncomfortable symptoms is a bleeding, swollen hemorroid... Please help. I will love to have any advise or insight. I can't keep going on like this.

Thank you,

Mariah

The choice of whether to scope or not is solely yours to make. Sometimes our recovery on the diet followed strictly will be the best 'convincing' your family can have. There are doctors that will give the 'official' diagnosis based on your positive blood work and response to the diet.

Dear Mariah,

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to see that you're feeling so bad.

I'm sort of torn on my advice. If you've only been gluten-free a month, the procedure isn't that bad. The gastro can rule out some other things that could be going on, like ulcers and GERD and Diverticulosis. I personally wouldn't be willing to re-introduce gluten if you're doing better on a gluten-free diet, but maybe I'm a wimp.

Regarding your bleeding, that's a sign of malabsorption of vitamin K. Regarding your bone pain, you could have secondary hyperparathyroidism (25% of people with celiac disease have it according to the University of Columbia) or osteopenia or osteoporosis even at your young age. Have you had a bone scan?

Foods high in vitamin K include cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts. Those foods aren't common allergins.

As for what to eat, relax about water. That won't make you sick.

Try making your own coleslaw (the fiber can be helpful). I made a waldorf coleslaw today (bagged coleslaw mix, chopped apples dipped in citrus juice, and seasoned with rice wine vinegar, mustard seeds, s&p, a little agave juice.)

Check the "What's for Dinner Tonight" for other ideas. You may be having an autoimmune system response to other common allergens, like dairy, corn, soy or other proteins. The search engine on this forum is helpful.

It was really hard for me at first, too. I've read that if you have a gluten intollerance, it can take a few weeks to improve. If you have celiac disease, it can take much longer. Take each day at a time, there will be good and bad days. Try to focus on what you can have, forget fast and processed foods.

If you want more suggestions on what to eat, we'll have plenty of suggestions. Just take food slow and whole for awhile.

I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon, and I think I'd go for the endoscopy, making sure your GI takes several biopsies, just to rule out other things that could be going on. If you have a soy intolerance, tell them ahead of time so that they can use an anesthesia that doesn't contain soy.

Good luck, get better. (And you don't have to listen to your family if you don't want to.) (Or me either.)

Oh yes, and one of the most uncomfortable symptoms is a bleeding, swollen hemorroid... Please help. I will love to have any advise or insight. I can't keep going on like this.

Hi! While I can't help with your initial question, I can testify to what has happened with my severe, bleeding hemmrroids. Within a week of going gluten-free, all of the bleeding was gone and the inflammation was reduced by approximately 50% or so. I already no longer have a hate/hate relationship with toilets!