Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JSegura226

Thyroid Problem?

I have Hashimoto and for me it does flip between hyperthyroidism to hypothyroidism. I have found that gluten is linked to all my episodes. Sometimes, (before gluten-free) I would sweat under any amount of stress (couldn't play poker:)) and would have heart palpitations with feelings anxiety and very irritable. other times I would gain weight no matter how much I exercise and have no energy and was hard to concentrate because my thought process was so cloudy...i grew up blaming dyslexia.

This is a good book to read and is packed with a lot of useful info for people with thyroid issues and gluten intolerance..."Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?" by Dr. Kharrazian. He emphasizes on the importance to getting the correct tests done and diagnosed thoroughly and correctly, so you can take the right corrective measures that fit your personal issues.

Now that I am gluten free...I cant describe how much better I feel.

I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year and half ago (after being misdiagnosed with everything imaginable for 4-6 years). Then I was diagnosed more specifically with Hashimoto's Disease about 3 months ago. Even on thyroid meds I still have symptoms like you listed about both hyper and hypo. My lab tests keep coming back normal but I still go through swings of feeling hyper then feeling okay and then feeling hypo. It's never ending and it's really messing up my life (I miss work, I can't concentrate, I get anxious and nervous about random unimportant things, my friends and family think I flake on them when it's really because I honestly can't get out of bed, etc...) I'm to the point that I'll try just about anything if there's a chance that it will make it better. I recently read a little bit about the connection between Hashi and Gluten. My dr tested me for gluten-intolerance and the tests came back fine but he said it couldn't hurt to try the gluten-free diet and see what happens. I've been on the diet for about a week but I don't know if I'm feeling better because of the diet or because I'm recovering from my last onslaught of symptoms. Did you have symptoms of gluten intolerance before you went on the diet? How long did it take before you really noticed a significant change in the way you feel? Any other advice on how to deal with the Hashi/Gluten combo? I'm set on giving the gluten-free diet a 100% in hopes of feeling normal again and I'm definitely going to order the book you mentioned above.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I have used Bio-K.  It is certified gluten-free and was recommended by my now retired doctor.  It can be found at my local health food store market.   https://www.biokplus.com/en_us/products  
    Hi all, Does anyone know of or wish to start a support group in Bergen County, NJ?  Or are there any members in Bergen Co who would just like to get together now and then and support each other in person?  
    I have also had hallucinations.  Not very many.  But decades ago, during my teenage years (horribly sick but had not been diagnosed with Celiac so I was actively eating gluten all day every day), I hallucinated once or twice.  I never told an...