This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Days In Have Some Questions About Withdrawl And Other Things

Applegirl

Applegirl Rookie

So I'm 3 days in to being Gluten free and I must say I am having some improvement in how I feel. I was literally sick in bed thought I was dying and today I was able to take a walk and go food shopping. I do have some questions about all of this tho if you could help me out with some of these I'd be wonderful!

1. I seem to have itching, no rash but esp on my face and arms now. Is that a normal sort of "dextox" procedure or has anyone experienced this? I bought some gluten free things like a few cookies and breakfast bars and I'm not sure if maybe I'm allergic to something in that so I'm going to stay away from them completely tomorrow. But till then I didn't know if this could be like toxins leaving through my skin perhaps?

2. Do I need to prepare my food completely away from my husband and daughters? Like I can't cook my things at the same time, use the same counter etc? I know I cant share like a spatula or anything while cooking. What about in the fridge and cabinets do u store your stuff in a different area?

Thats all for now thanks for any help u can provide!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

George Knighton Apprentice

1) There are many gluten foods that use an alternative to wheat BUT many of them contain milk. Check to see if you're allergic to milk. Also check to see if you're allergic to salt. I was experiencing the same thing today when my mother cooked some veggies and she added salt in them. Felt itchy all around.

2) Yep. Separate plates, kitchen utensils, cooking pot, sponge, dishwasher, etc. What I do is just buy my own disposable plates and forks and I have my own pot(s), cooking spoons, and sponge.

Applegirl Rookie

1) There are many gluten foods that use an alternative to wheat BUT many of them contain milk. Check to see if you're allergic to milk. Also check to see if you're allergic to salt. I was experiencing the same thing today when my mother cooked some veggies and she added salt in them. Felt itchy all around.

2) Yep. Separate plates, kitchen utensils, cooking pot, sponge, dishwasher, etc. What I do is just buy my own disposable plates and forks and I have my own pot(s), cooking spoons, and sponge.

oh crud so i haven't been gluten free at all then if I've been using forks plates etc even if I pull them out of the dishwasher?

George Knighton Apprentice

Some people aren't that sensitive to gluten so they can share utensils. But there are always traces of gluten in kitchen utensils and kitchen knives. It may not look like it, but IMO the best way to get rid of gluten completely is to isolate your things.

Applegirl Rookie

okay thank u im gonna buy some disposable things tomorrow then to help along. I do feel improvement and today I bought my own scrubby brush for the kitchen and own tubberware so theres a start :) Now if this itching would stop i'd be golden lol

kareng Grand Master

Most of us use dishes out of the dishwasher in mixed houses. You don't want to use something really scratched or like a colander, that you can't get the pasta out of the holes properly. You do need a separate toaster, jams, PB, butter tub, etc. Things that people put the knife in, touch the bread & get some more ( leaving crumbs in the jars).

Marilyn R Community Regular

:) Hi Apple, welcome to the forum...your knives and forks should be just fine after going through the dishwasher. Some of us prefer to have gluten-free households, some get by just fine by being careful (even if they don't have a dishwasher.) It's more important to get rid of the gluten protein that might be lurking in your kitchen, like in your silverware drawer, scratched cutting boards or non-stick or cast iron pans, plastic strainers...a good clean out of the kitchen cupboards and refrigerator is worthwhile. Start fresh.

There will be more good advice to come, I am sure, but don't worry about your silverware.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Applegirl Rookie

:) Hi Apple, welcome to the forum...your knives and forks should be just fine after going through the dishwasher. Some of us prefer to have gluten-free households, some get by just fine by being careful (even if they don't have a dishwasher.) It's more important to get rid of the gluten protein that might be lurking in your kitchen, like in your silverware drawer, scratched cutting boards or non-stick or cast iron pans, plastic strainers...a good clean out of the kitchen cupboards and refrigerator is worthwhile. Start fresh.

There will be more good advice to come, I am sure, but don't worry about your silverware.

okay thank you. I actually washed all my silverware and the holder thru the dishwasher this am it was one of the first things I thought of and tomorrow I want to do a much more detailed clean of cabinets and such

Marilyn R Community Regular

When I finally got around to cleaning out my utensil drawer, I was amazed at how many crumbs were in there. I 86'd toast at our house because of all the crumbs. They can have gluten-free bread toasted in a dedicated toaster or no toast, or eat it with a meal in a restuaraunt. That worked at my home without much of a dilemna.

The other thing most people recommend is tossing out all your spices and buying new. I never understood that. But this weekend I was making gluten-free bisquits and rememembered a time or two that I used the same measuring spoon to measure several dry ingredients for a recipe... which equals double dipped gluten... or maybe I had trace amounts of wheat flour on the T. and stuck the 1/2 tsp. into the baking powder or soda.

Regarding the itching, it would be good to get your Vitamin D level checked, or itching can be a signal of food allergies. I wish you well, it can be a mystery trying to figure it out and the first months are tough.

Archived