CNV2855

Two Family Members Becoming Sick Incl. Sister's Baby

Rate this topic

My younger sister's 10mo child recently developed eczema across her entire body. I was wondering if this can be indicative of celiac disease, and if it is what would be the best way to get the child tested? A blood test?

I also have a niece who developed bloating, GI symptoms, and started becoming swollen especially after meals so she also needs to be tested. I'm just not a fan of the blood test because I've always been seronegative.

Is there a way to do a gluten-free trial with the child if she's on formula/milk? They both know very little about the disease so I'm trying to get them the information they need. Basically wondering what the most effective method for testing a child is?

I wouldn't automatically suspect celiac simply because a child has eczema, especially if the mother doesn't have it. As for testing, not reliable for a child that young.

richard

I wouldn't automatically suspect celiac simply because a child has eczema, especially if the mother doesn't have it. As for testing, not reliable for a child that young.

richard

I agree with Richard. The child may be sensitive to something in the formula and the Mom should talk about it with the babies ped and see if a different formula should be tried.

As for the other person, just because you don't show up in blood tests does not mean that other celiac family members won't. I don't show positive in the older blood tests but both my children did.