This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Itching And Twitching!

CR5442

CR5442 Contributor

Many people have talked about itching and twitching on this site in the process of recovery. How long on average did you find it took for these symptoms to disappear? I don't itch all the time like I used to but now just in the middle and the end of my cycle (about 3 days in the middle and 7 - 10 days at the end). Out of interest has anyone here also suffered from Obstetric or normal cholestasis? I had this with both of my pregnancies and neither time did it stop after pregnancy. Only after being gluten free for 8 weeks or so did it start to diminish.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

There could be a few reasons for itching. Look up https://www.celiac.com/articles/22021/1/Five-Common-Skin-Conditions-Associated-With-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

Twitches are more than likely due to the lack of magnesium in yoiur diet. Potassium and magnesium both regulate muscle contraction. Some people have trouble with magnesium supplements but are fine with potassium. I was able to get my twitches to stop by using potassium supplements and putting more potassium rich foods in my diet. You can find lots of info on both on the Internet if you want to reserahc it more for yourself.

YoloGx Rookie

Many people have talked about itching and twitching on this site in the process of recovery. How long on average did you find it took for these symptoms to disappear? I don't itch all the time like I used to but now just in the middle and the end of my cycle (about 3 days in the middle and 7 - 10 days at the end). Out of interest has anyone here also suffered from Obstetric or normal cholestasis? I had this with both of my pregnancies and neither time did it stop after pregnancy. Only after being gluten free for 8 weeks or so did it start to diminish.

Could also be salicylate and/or phenol sensitivity. Might be worth looking into. If epsom baths and/or baking soda helps against the itching and twitching, its a good indicator... If it is salicylate or phenol sensitivity, you can find info and both acceptable and non acceptable food lists by trolling the internet. Hopefully it isn't so bad you have to be on a full scale reductive diet like some of us. Meaning being, its better to catch it earlier rather than later...

CR5442 Contributor

Could also be salicylate and/or phenol sensitivity. Might be worth looking into. If epsom baths and/or baking soda helps against the itching and twitching, its a good indicator... If it is salicylate or phenol sensitivity, you can find info and both acceptable and non acceptable food lists by trolling the internet. Hopefully it isn't so bad you have to be on a full scale reductive diet like some of us. Meaning being, its better to catch it earlier rather than later...

This is really useful, thank you! I hadn't thought of Phenols. I've been eating as clean as I possibly can but it seems I might be reacting to my children's playdoh! Someone mentioned B12 so I have taken some foodstate B vits over the last 24 hrs and it does seem to have calmed the twitching down... awesome result! Hopefully as my gut heals the itching will get better too!

AVR1962 Collaborator

This is really useful, thank you! I hadn't thought of Phenols. I've been eating as clean as I possibly can but it seems I might be reacting to my children's playdoh! Someone mentioned B12 so I have taken some foodstate B vits over the last 24 hrs and it does seem to have calmed the twitching down... awesome result! Hopefully as my gut heals the itching will get better too!

Benefits of B12: Open Original Shared Link

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency, scroll down to muscle spasms and twitches: Open Original Shared Link

YoloGx Rookie

Glad to be of help. Hadn't heard that about Playdoh!! Does it have gluten in it?? Or Phenols??

I have had contact poisoning just from touching wintergreen and aloe...

Let us know how it goes and what you discover.

I too am still discovering more over time. For some of us it takes a while... Am so very greatful I am sleeping better these days. The Epsom Salt baths help me hugely plus taking MSM and of course the B vitamins (co-enzyme complex for me to absorb them) and various minerals including the magnesium (an essential ingredient to stop the twitchies).

Recently I also have discovered homeopathics really help me sleep. I take the homeopathic Sulpher with Hyland's Bioplasma cell salts and it makes a huge difference too in improving my skin as well as sleep. If I still can't sleep, I take their insomnia remedy. For homeopathics to work one has to be off all caffeine (including chocolate) as well as mint (full of salicylates anyway).

And for some reason, although I tolerate maple syrup quite well, I don't tolerate sugar at all. If I have even a smidgen of it I don't sleep and twitch away...

Bea

CR5442 Contributor

Just a quick update. After a little thinking I remembered linseed tea that my nutritionist had me on when pregnant with my daughter four years ago. That seems to have calmed a lot of my symptoms down of itching and twitching. The acupuncturist said my blood was dirty last time. Apparently the mucilage from the linseed helps absorb and elimination of toxins from the liver, without allowing their reabsorption in to the blood stream from the gut. Awesome! I'm also taking some goldenseal and echinacea for an earache related to a cold my children have come out with. Strangely I'm not getting any adverse affects from the echinacea... i.e. no blowing up of symptoms. Might mean that finally my gut is starting to heal... only 12 weeks since I gave up gluten for good so there is light! I tried upping the Vitamin B's but had some dreadful lucid dreaming going on so thought probably better to just take one good multivit for the time being. :D Thanks so much for all your input.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Just a quick update. After a little thinking I remembered linseed tea that my nutritionist had me on when pregnant with my daughter four years ago. That seems to have calmed a lot of my symptoms down of itching and twitching. The acupuncturist said my blood was dirty last time. Apparently the mucilage from the linseed helps absorb and elimination of toxins from the liver, without allowing their reabsorption in to the blood stream from the gut. Awesome! I'm also taking some goldenseal and echinacea for an earache related to a cold my children have come out with. Strangely I'm not getting any adverse affects from the echinacea... i.e. no blowing up of symptoms. Might mean that finally my gut is starting to heal... only 12 weeks since I gave up gluten for good so there is light! I tried upping the Vitamin B's but had some dreadful lucid dreaming going on so thought probably better to just take one good multivit for the time being. :D Thanks so much for all your input.

Linseed tea, very interesting. I will have to check into that. Thanks or sharing that info.

YoloGx Rookie

Linseed tea, very interesting. I will have to check into that. Thanks or sharing that info.

Myself--I have always been sensitive to Linseed...AVR, Not meaning to put a wet blanket on it, however with Sals I learned much later you have to be careful of seeds and nuts in general...

Bea

CR5442 Contributor

Myself--I have always been sensitive to Linseed...AVR, Not meaning to put a wet blanket on it, however with Sals I learned much later you have to be careful of seeds and nuts in general...

Bea

Yes, I agree with this. But the tea doesn't contain the linseed, only the mucilage. Anyhow, last night I had a reaction to something so I'll cut out the goldenseal/echinachea to see if it's that, otherwise it's the linseed! I did react to raw linseeds but I think that was the moulds as they were quite old. Yesterday I upped the Goldenseal/Ech mix a little, that might be what did it. Or it might just be me and the time in my cycle. My tummy tends to get wierd at the middle and the end. Or it could be the cold?!

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks Caroline and Bea for the info!

CR5442 Contributor

Yes, I agree with this. But the tea doesn't contain the linseed, only the mucilage. Anyhow, last night I had a reaction to something so I'll cut out the goldenseal/echinachea to see if it's that, otherwise it's the linseed! I did react to raw linseeds but I think that was the moulds as they were quite old. Yesterday I upped the Goldenseal/Ech mix a little, that might be what did it. Or it might just be me and the time in my cycle. My tummy tends to get wierd at the middle and the end. Or it could be the cold?!

I'm really agreeing with you now! I'm inflamed beyond belief this morning. Something I took/ate over the last few days has been working on my system. It could be a number of things so back I go to gluten-free sausages and peas for two meals a day and chicken for one. I am sooooo bored of eating like this!!! Any tips for keeping the constipation from setting in? I think taking anti-constipation stuff like aloe, magnesium, only adds to the inflamation and imbalance of water in the body/bowel.

YoloGx Rookie

Just be careful. I believe echinacea, despite all its wonders, is an immune stimulant--something we as celiacs need to avoid. I believe goldenseal is OK--though its worth checking out further considering your sals problem. Dandelion traditionally is safe however both for celiacs and borderline sals folks. Parsley and garlic are completely safe all around. If you can tolerate lemon or lime, make a hot drink with it -- it should help cut the mucous. Hot chicken/vegetable/rice soup is also of great help (celery, peeled chopped yam, cabbage, green onions if you can tolerate them, and string beans, with lots of garlic and parsley added in at the end). If none of this is sufficient, consider homeopathics. I know Hylands makes a "complete flu care". Just make sure you are taking no caffeine and no mint anything (or other herbs from the mint family) and it should work well.

Hope you get well soon!

Bea

Archived